Ruger Compact 243

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
GlennGTR1
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 all weather ultralight

Ruger Compact 243

Post by GlennGTR1 »

Has anyone here had any experience with the Ruger Compact 243. I was wondering what kind of accuracy your getting and effective range on coyotes,rockchucks and other predators. I was thinking this would be a real handy walking predator/ varmint rifle. I would probably be shooting 75-90 grain weight bullets.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Re: Ruger Compact 243

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I had an M77 with a 18 inch Heavy barrel that shot great with several weights of bullets from 87gr down to 60gr I liked the 70gr and 65gr the best. In fact try the 65gr Hornady bullets with Winchester 760. It shot great but the .243 shot every thing well and was a very easy gun to reload for it was not picky at all. I made a 511 yard shot on a squirrel with it. For a few years I shot 850 rounds a year at squirrels. Once I went to the 204 I decided to sell it. It was a lot of rifle for squirrels. I do miss it though it was a tack driver. I sold it to a good shooting buddy so I will still get my hands on it once in a while.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Glenn....I know you're asking about the Ruger Compact, but just for grins, have you considered the Remmy Model Seven in .243W? Mine is stainless/sythentic, light, 20" barrel/short, carries like a dream, shoots the Nosler 70gr BT into 3/4" without any bedding or tweaking except for adjusting the trigger. I put a Leupold 2.5-8X on it, and would not change a thing.....not a single thing.

Unless for some reason you just have to have a Ruger, you might want to consider one of these little sweeties. And I know I don't have to mention all the aftermarket goodies for Remingtons....like a small block Chevy of the gun world.

As you can see, it works well on 'Ole Wiley. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RUD
.204 Ruger Guns: cooper model 21 phoenix

Post by RUD »

Glenn, I also have the Rem. Model Seven, but in .223 rem. It, like RIO said is a great light carry gun that I use for groundhogs for closer shots when walking. It has a leupold VXII 3X9 on it. Nothing against the Ruger, as I have a couple of that brand also, but not that model. You can never have enough guns, ATLEAST THAT IS WHAT I TELL MY WIFE!!!!! The .243 is a great round I have one sporter and one heavy barrel, both older Remingtons. I always like to check the guns out in person, for fit and style. You know when you look and feel a gun on the shoulder if it is right for you. Good luck on your quest, always fun to look and buy another shooter. Rudy