22 Hornet

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

22 Hornet

Post by Lenard »

I just ordered a new CZ 527 hornet. I am trying to remember what heighth rings I will need for a Leupold 10x scope. I seem to remember that some bolt handles will hit the scope on the low rings. Would appreciate any help.

Lenard
stevecrea

Re: 22 Hornet

Post by stevecrea »

Lenard:

I thought that rings came with the CZ 527s. Or do you want something other than the stock rings? I seem to recall that CZ includes medium rings.

I also see that Leupold makes a medium height ring for the CZ 527, and I believe Millett does as well.

The action is so short on the 527 that much depends on which scope you have, and how far back you like to mount it, etc.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
Lenard

Post by Lenard »

Steve, dealers do different things with CZ scope rings. Most of the time, they charge an extra $55 for them. A friend with a FFL ordered the gun for me and I don't know if the disributor ships rings with the gun.

I am going to mount a fixed power scope because of the close distance of the rings. I have read that mounting a variable power scope limits mounting the scope far enough forward. I will just have to wait and see if rings come with the gun or not and if the bolt handle interferes with the scope.

Thanks, Lenard
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

Lenard,
I did not realize that it was up to the distributor/dealer to include or not include the rings.

If you receive it without rings, you may also wish to consider Talley. I do not know if they make one for the 527, but I have ordered several times from them and they are high quality, very prompt with shipping, and reasonably priced.

I hope you like the rifle. I am seriously tempted by the 527. I am lefthanded, and CZ makes the 527 in .223 and .204 in lefthand. I have heard nearly all good reports about them.
Lenard

Post by Lenard »

Steve, my shooting buddy has a 527 in 223 that will shoot 40 gr. Vmax into 3/4" at 200 yards. It is the standard weight barrel also. He killed 18 chucks with 18 shots at 200 yards last spring and had never hunted them. He was pleased as could be with the gun. There was a number of head shots in the bunch. It was sure fun to watch him and see his surprise in killing all of them.

Lenard
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

Lenard:

Thank you for the info about the 527.

Do you know if he has done any accurizing on it, such as bedding?

Also, is that accuracy with handloads or factory ammo? Regardless, that is superb in my book.
Lenard

Post by Lenard »

Steve, he did nothing to the gun but mount a scope, load 40 grain bullets with 2200 powder and shoot it. He also shot some 52 grain Speer HP's and they shot well also. The 40 Vmax actually shoots the best. I shoot the 40's in my Mini Mauser and they are very accurate.

Lenard
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

The CZ American should come with CZ rings that will work with a 40mm objective. If the box is opened before you get there then he has stolen your rings & wants you to buy them back. Call CZ & make certain they still send rings with the American before picking it up.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

Lenard:

I like those Mini-Mausers. I was disappointed when Charles Daly lost the deal to import them from Zastava.

I am also shooting the 40 grain V-Maxes, but in a Tikka 595. And, I am shooting Fiocchi ammo, not reloads. But they seem to shoot quite well at an inch or tighter at 100. I know that is far from extraordinary, but it will usually do the job for me. If I were loading for it, I would expect to improve on that.

I am eager to find out how you like the CZ when you get it.
SShooterZ
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint - Savage 12 w/ Custom PacNor 1:11

Post by SShooterZ »

The problem you run into isn't with the objective but the eye piece.

I've always found Nikon Buckmasters to fit the 527 the best.

I would go with high rings depending on the size of your Leupold. Or, as some have done, send the bolt out to be "bent" and you'll be able to clear the eye piece without worrying much about bolt clearance.

As for the hornet, wonderful little round and a blast to shoot. I've found that 'Lil Gun in front of a Pistol Primer yields the best results in my 527.
Lenard

Post by Lenard »

Well, the rifle arrived last week. The Lux model does not come with rings or so CZ tells me. The rings came in today and I will be mounting the 10X Leo scope tomorrow.

Shooter, those are the components I have acquired for the hornet. Numerous people on various forums highly recommend Lil Gun and pistol primers. When I talked with CZ, they said I should be able to use the medium rings, so that is what I ordered.

It has been so cold here with the wind, that I will put off shooting it until the winds subside. By the way, I had to replace some springs in the trigger to get a pull that I wanted, around 1 1/2 lbs.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Lenard, now that you've got your Hornet (congratulations on the new toy!), you may want to be aware of what I call "Hornet Evolution". This involves the eventual new Hornet rifle or rechambering of your existing one to .22 K-Hornet = Big Fun, longer case life, more velocity. Then it goes even further, eventually shrinking the bore to .17 caliber, and then you've got the most fun Hornet-based caliber on the planet.....like a 20 grain V-Max at over 3,800 fps, zero recoil, brass lasts almost forever, more accurate than any 22 Hornet ever dreamed of being......I could go on, but you get the idea.

Welcome to the Hornet Clan. Here's a glimpse of some .17 Ackley Hornet cases on the bench during a shoot recently....they just LOOK better than the factory Hornet case, don't they? ;)

I hope your new CZ is a real shooter and a chuck-buster next spring. Try the old Nosler 45gr Hornet bullet over some AA1680 with Rem 6-1/2 RIFLE primers. (Yes, 6-1/2 primers....designed for the Hornet case).
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Lenard

Post by Lenard »

Rick, I have had the thoughts of opening it to a K, but am more concerned about accuracy than velocity. I just wanted something that was quieter while shooting around my hunting partners and light to carry. I will likely shoot it out to 150 yards, maybe stretching it to 200 at times. Otherwise the 223 or the 204 will come into play.

My partner from Klamath, has made arrangements to shoot a 400 acre ranch just across the line from Oregon. So, we won't be without access to some good shooting. I just hope it has some chucks on it.
SShooterZ
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint - Savage 12 w/ Custom PacNor 1:11

Post by SShooterZ »

Does the Lux not come with a Set Trigger?

I know on my 527 I can dial it in to easily 1 1/2 lbs in set trigger mode and close to 3-4 lbs in regular mode.

Either way, best of luck with it! Should be a great shooter!

Also, quick FYI, mine hated the 36gr Varmint Grenades. Keyholed like crazy.
Lenard

Post by Lenard »

Shooter, I bought mediums and there is at least a half inch clearance. My intent is to work up loads with the 35 and 40 grain VMax bullets using Lil Gun as a starter. I am a little concerned about the bedding, but will shoot it as is, before taking the glassing step.

I have the regular trigger down to a little over 1 lb using a new spring. The spring on the set trigger is very heavy and I have not wanted to tear into it unless I really have to.

Hopefully, I will get to shoot it on thursday.