308 as a varmint round

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
Sagebrush Burns
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter

308 as a varmint round

Post by Sagebrush Burns »

On a prairie dog hunt lately my partner brought along a borrowed Ruger M77 MkII VT in 308. It wore a Leupold 4-12 and he was using 110 grain factory ammo. One day there was a hay stack and fence line measured 520 yards away and we saw a dog right under the fence. The rifle was zeroed dead on at 300 yards and estimated 14" low at 400 and 3' low at 500 yards. I told him to hold the top strand of wire and he did for a one shot kill. Had I not witnessed it I would be very skeptical! The 308 is not my choice for varminting - too much recoil and expense - but it sure did the job.
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Re: 308 as a varmint round

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Sounds like a fantastic shot! A couple of the guys I shoot PD's with take their .308's along as well. It's not their primary rig but towards the end of the hunt they will pull them out and do some damage!
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Been there Guy's and the good ol 308 win can get the job done! With the right bullet a good wind bucker. Yes ther are better varmint rounds...........but if all you got is a 308 win it WILL work.
Later..............Happy Father's Day to all!!!
Ray P :wink:
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

When I was a kid, we had two centerfire rifles in the house, both were .30-06... It's amazing what a 130 grain Speer hollow point will do to a rock chuck! :D I still use my .308 for varminting from time to time, because it's the most accurate rifle I own. Krieger barrel and all that...

The new little .204 CZ varminter though is doing a fine job trying to match the accuracy of my .308 Win...