Top barrell makers??

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
scott_r
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington Model 700 LVSF

Top barrell makers??

Post by scott_r »

Im currently shooting a Model 700 LVSF and am planning to customize this rig. I would like to get a real tak driver and am going to firstly get a new trigger installed/action bedded but next on the list is a new BBL. What do you reccommend for top notch barrels for varmint rigs?? Im located in Canada and don't have access to all manufacturers but know I can get most.

Cheers!!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Top barrell makers??

Post by Rick in Oregon »

scott: Barrels are like women; everyone has their favorites, and any of the top makers are good. I have barrels by Lilja, Shilen, Hart, Pac-Nor, Douglas, Galliard and others that all are quite accurate. Galliard is located in Canada, and may be the easiest for you to get without customs and border hassles.

Contact Ross Spagrud in Winnipeg at Prairie Gun Works and ask him what he'd recommend. He built me an excellent sheep rifle with a titanium action of his own making, and used a Galliard barrel. Their barrels hold many of the Canadian National Championship records, and are of extremely good quality. Mine is chambered in 7mm-08 Ackley, and it shoots cloverleaf groups at 100 yards. PGW has the contract for the Canadian military for all their sniper rifles, including their excellent .50 BMG the Canadian snipers have been using in Ashcanistan with impressive results. I've shot prairie dogs with Russ, and can say he's a real rifle nut, and "one of us".

Pac-Nor will ship to Canada also, and produces very good quality accurate barrels, some of theirs are among my most accurate. Both PGW and Pac-Nor have extensive websites.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

I kinda know how you feel being a Canadian and seeing all the goodies avaliable to our friends to the south, but being limited by the border and the vague laws concerning importing and exporting gun parts. I began the barrel quest a several years ago when I first learned I could "wear out" a barrel. My first day varminting used more centerfire cartriges than several years of whitetail deer hunting.

I recently decided to go with at Shilen barrel for my Savage because they offer pre-fit barrels for the Savage barrel system which makes a barrel change easy for me. A fella in BC has become a dealer/importer for Shilen barrels so I just paid the extra $$$ and let him deal with the importing paperwork. I can give you his email if you want to contact him about a Shilen barrel.

In my search for a Canadian barrel makers I also ran across Ted Gaillard who Rick mentioned. From what I have read he does top notch work. http://www.shootingpaul.netfirms.com/Gaillard.html

I have heard of several other Canadian barrel makers.... Bevan King, Mick McPhee, Ron Smith, Rob McClennan. Some may not produce a large selection of calibers and twists. You also may have a long wait as they are not volume producers and it may be months before they will be able to do the caliber you want. On the plus side they may be able to do some experimental stuff such as gain twist rifling because they are not volume producers. (It may have been Ted Gaillard who did this, I can't recall off hand but it was a really neat idea)

For Kreiger barrels this fellow imports them http://www.riflebarrels.ca/
Montana Rifleman barrels are available from this fella http://www.bitsofpieces.com/
I am sure there are plenty of others who import certain barrel brands.

From what I gathered in my barrel quest, there are no real bad barrel makers, (I suppose any one could have a bad one but you cannot live on exceptions to the rule) as nearly all have produced one or more benchrest winner.

Seeing that you will need a gunsmith to fit it to your action I would suggest you maybe first decide on a gunsmith ask what they prefer to work with or what they usually import.

If you have not already check out the CanadianGunNutz.com forum. Lots of info that is relevant to Canadian shooters. Not always the most civil of forums but do a search and usually you can find the info you need without needing to even post.
scott_r
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington Model 700 LVSF

Post by scott_r »

Thanks guys !!

Yes Ive been a member of Canadian Gunnutz and really find the info poor and biased on the board with a couple of "know it alls " who just start fights... American boards are usually more cival as well as imformative.

I do have a gunsmith in Saskatoon lined up to do work, does excellent work. And will talk with him and see if he can get different BBls

I once had a 22-250 with a Krieger BBL and man could that rifle shoot and am thinking on them but not 100%

How does a custom barrel compare to a barrel on Remington?

Cheers!!
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Scott - I've had several Krieger barrels on various .308's over the years. Vastly better than the factory Remington barrel they replaced. Excellent accuracy in the 600 yard matches I've shot and very little fouling. No need to clean even in a match that took about 140 rounds over two days. On the last string of fire, the barrel was still shooting 10's & X's.

I sure like to go up and visit you Canadians and help myself to some of your good fishing every now and then! Used to go to Chilliwack in BC and shoot a match from time to time as well. Haven't done that in a number of years now though.

Krieger would be my first recommendation, but I haven't tried a lot of other barrels either. Did have a Hart that shot really well too.

Regards, Guy