Ruger Hawkeye in 223 cal

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Ruger Hawkeye in 223 cal

Post by Ray P »

Anyone got a torque setting for actions screws? This is blued action and barrel in a walnut stock. The action screw were tighter than 65 in/lbs that I see most sights recommending. :huh: I was looking for locktite when they came out. The threads were clean and no evidence of thread loc.
Later
Ray P
:wall:
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
YoteSmoker
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varminter

Re: Ruger Hawkeye in 223 cal

Post by YoteSmoker »

Torque specs:
darn tight on the front guard screw under the recoil lug
Tight on the other two

My torque range goes from lowest to highest: snug, nice and tight, tight, darn tight.
IKE
.204 Ruger Guns: .204; Kimber Pro Varmint

Post by IKE »

Ray P wrote:Anyone got a torque setting for actions screws? This is blued action and barrel in a walnut stock. The action screw were tighter than 65 in/lbs that I see most sights recommending. :huh: I was looking for locktite when they came out. The threads were clean and no evidence of thread loc.
Later
Ray P
:wall:
I have a Ruger Hawkeye in .204 cal. in the all weather model. I wrote a letter to Ruger and this is a quote from the letter I recieved. "This is in reference to your recent letter regarding your Ruger Hawkeye rifle. You may wish to note, the front mounting screw for this particular model rifle should be torqued at 95 inch pounds for the front, 50 inch pounds for the rear, and 50 inch pounds for the center." Hope this helps.

IKE
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

:wall: IKE...........Thank You!! Man they were very tight .....now I see why! Thanks for the help. I know I didn't put them back that tight.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
Nodak7mm
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger VT

Post by Nodak7mm »

On my Rugers, I have found that applying desired tq the the fore and aft screws (I tq mine @ 50 inlbs) and leaving the center screw (finger tight) gives me the best & consistant groups. Long, long ago I was advised to leave the center screw finger tight as it can stress the action and act like a bad bedding job as there is no meat/wood supporting the action there. This is true on the earlier 77's and the MKII's, not sure with the new Hawkeyes...

Just my experience & thoughts...

Nodak
Last edited by Nodak7mm on Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I really love Lefse' !!!
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Nodak7mm.........Thanks!! Yes I agree with you. Tight on the front screw, snug on the rear screw and finger tight on the middle. Any of my 77 markII that I have taken apart, have came apart real easy. Also my Rem 700's. This was the first Ruger that I had trouble with, and I see why at 95 in/lbs.
Thanks for responding.
Later
Ray P