Remington 700 VSSF II 204

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
acera
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF II 204

Remington 700 VSSF II 204

Post by acera »

I just bought this rifle I'm looking for people that also own this rifle to advance the learning curve. It has the x-mark pro tigger and bushnell 4-16x50. I'll use it for long range goundhog. What ammo works well what kind of groups are you getting also general info and suggestions. Probably will add Harris bipod 25-S (11 to 25 swivel). Thanks
Drew Jaeger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF II

Re: Remington 700 VSSF II 204

Post by Drew Jaeger »

I'm very pleased with the Remington 700 VSSF II and Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x40mmAO mounted on it. The new "X-Mark Pro" trigger has been adjusted down to 1.5lbs safely and snaps off like a glass rod breaking!

All I have done with the rifle is "run in" the barrel which is a drawn out process that involves;

One shot – clean (5x)
Two shots – clean (5x)
Three shots – clean (5x)
Five shots – clean (2x)

In total forty rounds were used to "run-in" the new barrel.

I use hand loads with the ever popular Sierra 39gr BlitzKing and 26.6gr of AR2206H for ~3700ft/s from the VSSF II 26" barrel. This load and shoots 0.25" groups at 100m. At the moment, I'm using WSR primers which crater with this load, as a consequence CCI BR4 primers will be used in future loadings. I haven't developed the load and don't really think it's necessary ATM. AR2206H is exactly the same powder as H4895 just relabelled for the American market.

The 204 has nailed numerous foxes at all ranges out to 325m and a couple of bunnies (all head shots). I'm very happy with the package.
Cheers

Drew

"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

acera, I've seen the pictures of Drew's groups, that rifle of his will flat out SHOOT! :eek:
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
acera
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF II 204

Post by acera »

Thanks Drew
Couple clarification questions
1) Did you use the hand load you stated for the barrel run-in or can you use a factory load like Hornadys, does it matter, because I have not hand loaded but not apposed to starting (would need to by the equipment).
2) The between cleaning is it breakout the rod, brush, jag etc or is it running a boresnake through the barrel (with alittle shooter's choice on it).
3) If I need to hand load, suggestion on the basic equipment (scales, dies, caliper etc.) to do a GOOD job along with brand names and I might need more detail on stuff like H4895 is that the powder brand Hodgdon also I see cci primers with numbers like 200, 300, 550 etc.
Again thank you for your help and time
Drew Jaeger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF II

Post by Drew Jaeger »

acera wrote:Thanks Drew
Couple clarification questions
1) Did you use the hand load you stated for the barrel run-in or can you use a factory load like Hornadys, does it matter, because I have not hand loaded but not apposed to starting (would need to by the equipment).
2) The between cleaning is it breakout the rod, brush, jag etc or is it running a boresnake through the barrel (with alittle shooter's choice on it).
3) If I need to hand load, suggestion on the basic equipment (scales, dies, caliper etc.) to do a GOOD job along with brand names and I might need more detail on stuff like H4895 is that the powder brand Hodgdon also I see cci primers with numbers like 200, 300, 550 etc.
Again thank you for your help and time
No probs acera. To answer your questions.

1. Yes, I used my handloads. You could do the same with factory loads.

2. Firstly, I push a loose dry patch through. Then soak the bore with solvent (I use Birchwood Caseys Bore Super Scrub). Wait 10 min then push another wet patch through, then scrub the bore with a bronze brush only going the direction of bullet travel. Then another couple of wet patches, wait another 10 min and then dry patches. Always use a bore guide and wear rubber gloves.

3. For hand loading the 204, I have a mixture of equipment;
- Lee Classic Cast press - solid
- Redding FLS and BS dies - ordered a Lee Collet die in Canberra yesterday
- RCBS Powder Thrower
- RCBS Powder Trickler
- RCBS Scales
- RCBS de-burrer
- Lyman Case Trimmer
- Midway Tumbler
- Digital Callipers

All powder charges are individually weighed for consistency.

The load is;

Remington brass
CCI BR4 benchrest primer
Sierra 39gr BlitzKing
26.6grs of H4895
COL = 2.300”
Velocity is guessimated at ~3700ft/s
Cheers

Drew

"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."