Kimber 204 - Obviously A Bad Subject.

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Kimber 204 - Obviously A Bad Subject.

Post by Rick in Oregon »

K22 wrote:Anything longer and it will be a single shot.
K22: Well, if you're shooting PD's or ground squirrels from the bench, that's not an issue. We only shoot single shot for rats, leaving the bolt open between shots to allow barrel cooling. Three of my four 204's are shot single shot, and by loading the bullets closer to the lands, much better accuracy has been realized by doing so. We use Score-Hi Benchrest Followers in our repeaters to convert to single shot mode (unless it's a Cooper).

This pic shows 39gr SBK's loaded long for my Sako 75 Varmint, and these bullets are still about .080" short of touching, but give MUCH better accuracy. They must be shot single shot of course because of the longer OAL:

Here's a shot of my Sako Vixen L461 in 17 Mach IV that shows the single shot follower for reference:

Unless you're completely locked in to a repeater, try some longer loaded lengths and see what your target looks like......you may be surprised. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

K22

Re: Kimber 204 - Obviously A Bad Subject.

Post by K22 »

Those are some really nice pictures RIO. You do some really nice camera work.
Wow!, those 39gr. Sierra's are barely seated in the brass.
I guess I'm kind of locked in to the repeater issue with this rifle. It will be my main Coyote gun. I sorta locked myself into the Berger 35gr. since they do such a nice clean (no exit) job on pelts, but as of the last couple of years, prices are low enough I'm not going to go through all of that work for very little pay. Therefore, I need to get some Sierra 39gr. and Hornady 45gr. to try.