Looking for a good all around centerfire for large game

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Not only can you shoot rodents and varmints pretty much year around....for me it's much cheaper to hunt things that I don't care about hanging on the wall. I know as soon as I go elk or antelope hunting I'll be adding another head or body to my collection! From the looks of things, if you hit a prairie dog with a .204 or any centerfire for that matter, there isn't going to be much left...unless of course you really like putting puzzles together!

I'll most likely end up with multiple high power rifles but I've got multiple spendy hobbies besides my firearms and hunting so I have to space out my purchases....at least that's what I tell myself. :wink:
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
Drew Jaeger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF II

Post by Drew Jaeger »

30-06 all the way. But I do have a soft spot for the 7mm-08 too.
Cheers

Drew

"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Glenn hit the nail on the head on the previous page, this subject is now pretty much moot.

Any commercially available centerfire from .270 to any of the .30's will do the job for anything that 99% of us would ever hunt in the lower 48....period. Add in the medium bores such as the various .338's, and we're pretty much covering Alaska and Canada, even most of the Dark Continent except for where the .375 is considered minimum, but the original question has been addressed and answered quite well. :!:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Squatting Wolf »

I'd like to thank everyone for their insights into this topic....I don't believe my choice is going to be any easier but there is a lot of good information out there. When the time comes to pick up another centerfire and I choose a cartrige, I will probably have additional questions.

Thanks again for the help,
Matt
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
janneuf

Surprised

Post by janneuf »

Guys I am a bit disappointed. I have to think most of you guys are here because you wanted a cartridge (.204 Ruger) that no one else had. Sure a 30-06 will kill anything but who wants what everyone else shoots? If I followed that logic I'd have a 22-250 and not a 204.

I had to try several loads with my 7mm WSM but I now have a load which will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards and I can chase almost anything on the continent.

I can't argue with any of the logic but heck where's the sense of adventure?
janneuf
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

janneuf: Hey, I hear ya buddy. My personal primary choice is the .270 Win for deer and antelope, sometimes coyotes. As I started out with that caliber over 40 years ago, and it has never failed me, it's hard to change (old dog, new trick thingie...).

However, when I want to feel fresh and have that sense of adventure you mention, that's when I grab my titanium M700 clone (Mdl 15 Ti, Prairie Gunworks, Canada) chambered in 7mm-08 Ackley, and hit the mountain. It about duplicates my old .270 Win, shoots tighter groups, and is three pounds lighter.

I know what you mean, and that's how I add the sense of being different, and the spice of adventure to something I've been doing and loving to do for a long time. Both ways work, this is just my way of getting it done with a smile. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

My Turn

Post by Ryan S Albright »

.270 ,7mm 30-06 338 mag I've seen them all shoot tight groups and drop good animals. I do like a short action rifle with a short barrel nothing like a miss and a hit to get ones blood pumping when going after the game a quick handling rifle that fits well is nice. Buy what feels good and make it work. Happy Hunting.