Turning Savage .270 win into 6mm Rem

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

Turning Savage .270 win into 6mm Rem

Post by savageboy23 »

How of a pain in the keester would it be to do? I'm not too familiar with the rebarrel and rechambering. Wanting to add another varmit cartridge to the collection. I I still love the .270 cartridge and I was looking at gettin a Winchester model 70 or Remington 700.
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Turning Savage .270 win into 6mm Rem

Post by acloco »

Not much actually. No need to change the bolt head either.

Need a barrel nut wrench. McCree Precision makes THE best.

Buy or rent a go/no go gauge set.

Remove barrel nut, take off 270 barrel, clean action, install new barrel, set headspace, tighten barrel nut, and check headspace.
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

Yeah, as long as you have FACTORY new ammo, you can use those as guages.
What you MAY need is a 800# Gorilla. Some of them are a Muh-scratcher to break the nut loose. I have had to cut several off with a dremel.

And take your scope mounts OUT. Or you CAN bugger up the reciever threads when removing the barrel.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Darkker wrote:Yeah, as long as you have FACTORY new ammo, you can use those as guages.
What you MAY need is a 800# Gorilla. Some of them are a Muh-scratcher to break the nut loose. I have had to cut several off with a dremel.

And take your scope mounts OUT. Or you CAN bugger up the reciever threads when removing the barrel.

Are you using the McCree barrel nut wrench? These are super hard and held to tight tolerances.

Squirt some good liquid wrench in the front scope base screw holes. Let sit over night.
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

The tollerances on the wrench are irrelevant to the issues I spoke to. I have used several wrenches, Not used McCree, but two built by mcME on the waterjet, and laser table.
When you get into the receivers from the bankruptcy years...WHEW they had some interesting things that past by the QC boys.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

Post by savageboy23 »

Ok now that that is figured out whats a good barrel reccomendation? Pac-nor? Shilen?
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
Nor Cal Mikie
.204 Ruger Guns: None. Had a 16" barreled rear grip SP that was WAY too wild.

Post by Nor Cal Mikie »

Those two + Douglas, E.R. Shaw, Benchmark, etc. Just about any of the top name barrel makers will get the job done. Depends on who can get you one the fastest. ;)
As far as braking the barrel nut loose, the first time can be a real mother. After that, it's a piece of cake.
Nut wrench "smacked" with a steel hammer, to transfer the shock works the best. Or, you can pull and pull till you screw things up. :cry:
Headspace? Full length sized case will get the job done. It's a feel thing anyway. If you plan on shooting factory loaded ammo, not too tight. If you roll your own, set it snug and your brass will last a long time.
I finally got rid on all my gauges, I wasn't using them anyway. The last 10 = or so barrel swaps I've done went as smooth as silk just by setting the headspace will resized brass.