Mossberg Varmint Predator

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Mossberg Varmint Predator

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Some of you may have seen this months issue of Rifle Magazine (July 2012 #263)that has a feature article on the new Mossberg Varmint Predator rifle in 223 Remmy. Mossberg usually doesn't float my boat, but this offering has merit.

Anyway as the new rig is a bolt-gun that accepts ALL AR mags, it caught my eye. Today I was up at the Nosler Pro Shop, and a friend walked in....no other than Chub Eastman (former Nosler VP, now writer) with one of these babies in hand. He's currently doing a complete write-up on the new stick for Rifle and Sports Afield and asked if I'd like to fondle it.

Chub also showed me some targets shot in the field at the recent Nosler Annual Red Mist outing in MT...the thing shoots factory Varmageddon 55gr BT ammo in less than .5 MOA. Some groups were in the 3/8" range....factory box-stock! (with a Schmid & Bender 4-12X)

Mossberg has done their homework...the grey lam stock is perfect for either prone or bench/offhand, vertical pistol grip, flat BR toe area to ride the bags, beavertail forend,nice palm swell, completely free-floated, Accu-Trigger (broke at what felt like 3 lbs.), fluted barrel....many nice touches for a rifle selling at this price point. One version comes with an off-brand scope (4-12X) and what appears to be a Harris or knockoff bipod too.

If anyone is looking for a donor rifle to make into a 204, or just wants a 223, you'll want to take a look at this puppy....I'm impressed, and I don't impress easily. Now there's two more rifles I "need".....a CZ 17HH, and one of these babies........ :chin:

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/defa ... olt+Action

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2011/10/25/mossberg-mvp/
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Re: Mossberg Varmint Predator

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

Rick,

I was wondering about these new Mossberg rifles. Recently read an article on them that said alot of good things and it got me to thinking. Now with your stamp of approval on them I will probably get one later this year. :D

Brad
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Brad - The only fly in the ointment (for me), is the "Savage-like" barrel nut, but at least it's smooth, so a bit less gross. But otherwise, for the price, I predict Mossberg will do quite well with this rifle. If Chub Eastman is considering purchasing the sample Mossberg sent him for testing at Red Mist, it says ALOT to me. He doesn't purchase many of the guns sent to him. But he had the thing out for a full week in the PD fields, so it's not just 'showroom enlightenment' as I call it.

Another neat bit of bling on the rifle....the forend has a carved "M" in the middle of it.......I told Chub it stands for "MINE". :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Hi Rick, I was fondling one of those at the Gun Broker the other day. It almost came home with me but not quite (yet). Gary
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

That rifle caught my eye around a year ago.
It has "Been out" for quite some time, but doesn't appear to be in any semblance of production yet.
Really erks me....
I am opposite of you with the nut. The appearance doesn't bother me, and I like that I can do a barrel swap and don't need a lathe.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.