New savage LRPV Issues (204 ruger)

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
204foxguy
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 12 lrpv

New savage LRPV Issues (204 ruger)

Post by 204foxguy »

I just picked up my New savage lrpv. Now the surprise the Barrel is pressing against the left side of the stock at the end of the forearm for appx 2 inches :( . Boy am i disappointed, "Long Range Precision Varmint" this is not what i envisioned in Quality. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this? Just call Savage, Register the Rifle then Call Savage. Have any of you had this problem and if so did savage stand behind their rifles and replace the Stock?

Thanks in advance for all information
204foxguy
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: New savage LRPV Issues (204 ruger)

Post by Joe O »

Call Savage customer service,and explain the problem.Have you shot it yet?You want to know if the barrel is screwed into a warped receiver.
Also,it may have other issues that you would want fixed,when you send it back,like primer cratering,failure to eject,etc.I took a close-up pic of the primer cratering,and they called back,for me to pack it up,as they had a UPS pick up the next day.Their QC leaves allot to be desired,but their CS is A+.Good luck,and keep us posted.
204foxguy

Post by 204foxguy »

Joe,

I havent shot it. this rifle is a Left Port single shot with the H-S Precision synthetic stock. with the aluminum bedding block chassis. now that you mention it i suspect that the barrel is probally screw in off center, i guess it could be the bedding block is in the stock wrong? i will try to give Savage Customer service a call later today or tomorrow. I believe i will lay up a straight edge along the reciever to see if it looks like the barrel is in cockied.

Thanks
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

I meant to add the straight edge on both sides,to check that.I read a thread on the Savage site that the marks on the barrel are from a tech that worked on the rifle.The OP stated that one particular tech shouldn't install barrels because most of his were not aligned properly.No doubt in my mind.Too many stories.Mine shot low.I mean like 22" low at 25 yards.I shimed the scope base and used Burris 20* offset rings to get it up,without using up the scope elevation adjustment.My LRPV is a shooter.I wouldn't buy another factory Savage,but would have one set up by SSS or another competant Smith.I would also get rid of the Accutrigger.A jewel spoils you for others.
204foxguy

Post by 204foxguy »

the rifle was shipped back to Savage on Monday, I want to thank everyone, for the positive response's about Savage Customer Service.

I am starting to load up some loads to try when i get the rifle back.
I have some 34 gr. VARMINT NIGHTMARE EXTREME'S and some Hornady 32 gr Varmint bullets to load and test looking forward to seeing how it will shoot. :)

Thanks again.
204foxguy

Post by 204foxguy »

204foxguy wrote:the rifle was shipped back to Savage on Monday, I want to thank everyone, for the positive response's about Savage Customer Service.

I have some 34 gr. VARMINT NIGHTMARE EXTREME'S and some Hornady 32 gr Varmint bullets to load and test looking forward to seeing how it will shoot. :)

Thanks again.

I got the rifle back this week. I need to get scope bases, Rings & Scope on it so i can take it out and shoot.

Maybe going to load up some more 32 Gr. Varmint Bullets-BLC-2 pwr been hearing really good thing about these..s
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

COOL! Keep us updated.
204foxguy wrote:
204foxguy wrote:the rifle was shipped back to Savage on Monday, I want to thank everyone, for the positive response's about Savage Customer Service.

Thanks again.

I got the rifle back this week. I need to get scope bases, Rings & Scope on it so i can take it out and shoot.

Maybe going to load up some more 32 Gr. Varmint Bullets-BLC-2 pwr been hearing really good thing about these..s
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
204foxguy

Post by 204foxguy »

[quote="Song Dog"]COOL! Keep us updated.

[quote="204foxguy"][quote="204foxguy"]the rifle was shipped back to Savage on Monday, I want to thank everyone, for the positive response's about Savage Customer Service.

I got the rifle back this week. Savage adjusted the barrel that was rubbing on the left side of the Forearm, it is now centered. I need to get scope bases, Rings & Scope on it so i can take it out and shoot.

Mounted the Warne Scope bases, the Burris Signature Zee rings and an Weaver 6-24 Pwr scope.

Took the rifle out and shot some loads. It wanted to shoot groups @ 100 yards, only problem was the groups were 5" to the right of point of aim, (that was after i had adjusted the scope as far as possible for correction), I believe this had something to do with the barrel correction Savage Made. (sounds like they did a 20 inch barrel correction @ 100 yds? WOW! ).
This being my first Savage purchase & i was under the impression this was from their premium line Target action, H&S premium stock , Savage 1' fluted barrel ......I'm a bit dissappointed. After this Experiance, it may be quite awhile before i purchase another......... Time will tell!.

It did want to shoot groups anyway & in winds of 14-20 mph. (not a X-wind)

Thanks to the Burris posi-align inserts i can easly make correction for the scopes aim point vs the Point of Impact( i used the +20 & -20 in the front to make the correction.) I checked the Weaver and it happened to have about a total of 30 in's of movement Left to right so the 20's should be just about right for center adjustment. Thank You Burris for producing the Signature ZEE Rings that can make corrections for mis-drilled actions, & Mis-aligned barrel to action connections.

Well i now have 48 pieces of fire formed brass to work with.
Now to de-prime, Measure Brass, trim as needed, Chamfer mouths inside & out, and load some new rounds.
It appears the 34 gr. Varmint nightmare extremes wanted to group using the BLC-2 powder. Just have to do more testing.
I now have all winter to get the XXX Varmint load developed. :)

Foxguy