Lucky unlucky day

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Lucky unlucky day

Post by jrwoitalla »

Was out at the range today shooting mostly rimfire. Then I switched over to some 223 shooting with the Tikka. I started with 40gr VMax with 27.5gr of 2230c. Then I tried some 40gr Vmax's with 28gr of 748. The first shot went fine, then the second shot-and an instant stinging in my right cheek. I knew instantly...I had a blow back. I touched my cheek and felt a drop of blood. Turns out 28 grains is too much for that bullet after all. I had to go get the gunpowder out of my cheek at the E.R. I have to go to the range tomorrow to try and find the extractor, if I don't it'll take forever to get a new one from Beretta. The lucky part was I was wearing glasses and only got gunpowder in my cheek and that Tikka makes an extra tough extra safe gun.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: Lucky unlucky day

Post by Joe O »

Always scary.Glad you're safe.Had a blown primer on an overload and the Remy action handled it well.No damage.
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by jrwoitalla »

Went back first thing this morning just as the range was opening. One guy saw me looking around on the the ground around the benches, asked what I was looking for. When I told him, he looked down, bent over, picked something up, showed it to me and asked, "Is this what you are looking for?" And yes, indeed it was. Such a small inconspicuous object, he just happened to look in the right place. So now I just have to put it all back in the bolt and It'll be right as rain. Now the range masters are using my story as an anecdote as to why safety glasses should be worn at all times when shooting.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
GTOHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by GTOHunter »

Glad to hear Your alright....all these years of shooting I've never even thought of Safety Glasses...ear plugs and thumb tacks or a stapeler....guess we should all be more safer and also use Eye Protection! :chin: :duh: