Flowing primers into firing pin hole...need advice

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
ACLakey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage .204 Predator Hunter(soon)

Flowing primers into firing pin hole...need advice

Post by ACLakey »

From day one my Savage 12FV rifle has allowed primers to flow into the firing pin hole giving the impression of over pressure when clearly there is none(I have tried with light to warm loads and always the same result) Is this due to a large firing pin hole, small dia firing pin or a weak spring? What do you suggest for fixing it? Any information would be appreciated.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: Flowing primers into firing pin hole...need advice

Post by Joe O »

I had the same problem,from the getgo, with factory ammo,and all primers and loads.Take a good close-up pick of the fired primers/Cases and contact Effie at Customer service.Send an email with the pic.They sent me a UPS picup order,and installed a new bolt head,which corrected about 95% of the cratering.You're right the Fireing pin and hole don't match up.I sent the entire gun(their request).I am sure they have had so many by now,that they may only request the bolt.
ACLakey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage .204 Predator Hunter(soon)

Post by ACLakey »

Thanks for the reply, what was the turn around time? I may wait a few months due to the rock chucks that are out now and I would like to have it back for coyotes this fall.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Turn around would have been quick(10 days or less),however the Palama shop, that was doing the work,installed the right eject bolt head,the first time,plus a holiday was also in there (thanksgiving),so it took a few weeks.They never did correct the eject problem,so had them send a couple extrators,and did it myself. They paid both ways,and sent me 2 of everything, that goes in the bolt head,plus a nice embrosed leather sling,and embroidered patches.Squeaky wheel.LOL