Kimber 204 - Obviously A Bad Subject.

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
K22

Kimber 204 - Obviously A Bad Subject.

Post by K22 »

I think I've ask this before, but thought I'd give it another shot. I'm getting ready to order a new Kimber Montana in 204 and would like to know if any of you have one and how was the accuracy? Also, I'll be using Talley Lightweight rings, so my next question is will the extra low rings work with a Leupold Ultralight 3X9?
If everything goes as planned I may be ordering 2 of these Montana's and rebarreling one of them to my all time favorite caliber, the 17 Rem.

I sure am anxious to hear from any one who has a Montana in 204.

K22
Last edited by K22 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K22

Re: Kimber 204

Post by K22 »

Hmmm...........obviously no one has one. Well, no matter, the one I had on order finally made it in. All I can say is.......WOW!! For a walk about Predator rifle, this Kimber Montana has got to be the best IMHO. Super light, mine weighed 5lbs. 6oz. with Talley LW mounts and no scope. The scope I will be installing is a VX3 1.75-6X32 which weighs 10oz. For now, I installed a Browning 5-15X40 for developing a load.
The carbon fiber stock is pillar bedded from the factory and the barrel is free floated. The trigger broke at 3lbs. 12oz., but I adjusted it down to 2lbs. 6oz. Gosh, other than my Sako's, this was the easiest trigger to adjust I've ever done.
As you can see in the pictures, the scope kind of overwhelms the rifle, but it's what I needed to use to develop a load.

Being such a light rifle, it was a bit of a challenge to shoot tiny groups. None of loads showed any pressure signs and that surprised me with the 28.2gr. load. 28.2 is the load I'll be using for now.

As the photo's show, these Kimber Montana's in 204 will shoot. I can see 2 more of them in my near future. Another one in 204 to be rebarreled to 17Rem or 17-204 and one in 243 for the little bit of Deer hunting that I do.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: Kimber 204 - Obviously A Bad Subject.

Post by Captqc »

Don't look at it as being a bad subject, it's just that you're the first! (To post one anyway) I've not owned a Kimber rifle but I have heard good things about them. Thanks for posting the pics. :D Gary
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well, my Kimber is the 84M Varmint, using the same action as yours except carbon steel vs. stainless, but with the walnut stock, not the Montana synthetic. Mine seems to like 26.5grs of Benchmark and the 32gr Nosler BT w/Fed 205M in prepped WW cases. Groups run from .336" from the bench, to .5 - .6" in the field.....about as good as I can hold from field positions. This is not a speed demon load, just cruising along at 3,715 fps (at 35*F), but is consistently accurate in this rifle.

Mine is set up with a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14X LR M1 and the Varmint Hunter Reticle in Low Leupold rings....have not seen Talley's offered around these parts, all on the shelf Kimbers here have Lupy bases like Cooper. My Kimber can't match my Coopers for accuracy, but being a repeater, it shoots well enough for coyotes and the occasional rock chuck.

These rifles are probably the nicest repeaters chambered in 204 Ruger from what I can see, short of a full custom repeating rifle. Congratulations on yours....hope she works out great for you. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

WnMag
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber 84M Pro Varmint .204 Ruger- Cooper M21

Post by WnMag »

I have a Kimber 84 M Pro Varmint, It is a tack driver,. I have a Zeiss 6.5 X20 50mm. The triger on mine isnt the best but breaks nice and clean at about 2LBS.
I think it was me....or the wind.
Malazan
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper .204

Post by Malazan »

WnMag wrote:I have a Kimber 84 M Pro Varmint, It is a tack driver,. I have a Zeiss 6.5 X20 50mm. The triger on mine isnt the best but breaks nice and clean at about 2LBS.

How do you like the Zeiss 6.5 X20 50mm? I have my eye on one.

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

WHY WHY WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I look at your thread and liked the Montana. Have heard good things about Kimber. Then I goto their site (BIG MISTAKE) and fell in love with the Varmint, Classic, and the Montana.
UGGHHHH! Now the sickness has set in again LOL :D
Very nice! Congrats on the rifle :D
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Malazan wrote:
WnMag wrote:I have a Kimber 84 M Pro Varmint, It is a tack driver,. I have a Zeiss 6.5 X20 50mm. The triger on mine isnt the best but breaks nice and clean at about 2LBS.

How do you like the Zeiss 6.5 X20 50mm? I have my eye on one.
I have one on my CZ (Rapid-Z Varmint reticle) and I like it. I'd like to snag a Leupold VHR one of these days in say 4.5-14 for my 6mm. The only other hold over reticle I have is the Swarovski BR on my 2 Remington 700 (204). They're all good., IMO.
K22

Post by K22 »

Song Dog wrote:WHY WHY WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I look at your thread and liked the Montana. Have heard good things about Kimber. Then I goto their site (BIG MISTAKE) and fell in love with the Varmint, Classic, and the Montana.
UGGHHHH! Now the sickness has set in again LOL :D
Very nice! Congrats on the rifle :D
Song Dog I'm shocked! I thought you had more ability to resist those temptations. :lol: After looking at Rick in Oregon's Varmint, I thought, Holy Cow that is just gorgeous..............I want one.
I will be selling my Model 7 in 17 Rem. in order to purchase another Montana and have it rebarreled to 17 Rem. Then a Classic Select in 243 to replace my Husky Imperial Grade in 30-06.
H4895 has been a good powder for my 204's, but I did pick up a lb. of 8208 XBR to try. I know RL 10X and Benchmark have been highly recommended, but any opinions on IMR 8208 or is the jury still out on this one?
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

K22 guns and temptation that is tied together is tough on me LOLOL
Same here when I seen the Varmint that RIO has, I was impressed.
I seen 5-6 mag capacities on teh site, nice.
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
K22

Post by K22 »

Song Dog wrote:K22 guns and temptation that is tied together is tough on me LOLOL
Same here when I seen the Varmint that RIO has, I was impressed.
I seen 5-6 mag capacities on teh site, nice.
Boy can I relate to that.

And to think, like Coopers, these are made in the US.
WnMag
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber 84M Pro Varmint .204 Ruger- Cooper M21

Post by WnMag »

Its a turd, If you buy one and dont lke it I would be happy to take it off your hands!!! :D I have a mill-dot rectical in mine. This is the best scope

i have ever owned, and I wont buy anything else ever again :)
I think it was me....or the wind.
K22

Post by K22 »

Wow!!! This new IMR8208 XBR powder in my 204 is super. :D

I actually never thought I could get this Kimber to shoot this good. I am impressed.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Looks like with a little seating depth tweaking, that 27.9gr load is showing alot of promise. You're not far from a screamin' load there, buddy! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

K22

Post by K22 »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Looks like with a little seating depth tweaking, that 27.9gr load is showing alot of promise. You're not far from a screamin' load there, buddy! :D
You are so right Rick. The main problem is the OAL is 2.888 and that just barely fits the magazine and feeds. Anything longer and it will be a single shot.