Possible head space issues

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
ACLakey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage .204 Predator Hunter(soon)

Possible head space issues

Post by ACLakey »

Last year I had a barrel put on my Savage 12 action chambered in .223AI and it has never shot all that well. With extensive load development, bedding and a recrowning job the best I can get it to do is a 1" average at 100 yards. I picked up a neck sizing die and ran some brass through it and found that they would not chamber(could not close the bolt). That got me thinking that possibly there is a head space issue. If I FL resize the brass the rifle chambers just fine. Any thoughts? Possible solutions?
ACLakey

Re: Possible head space issues

Post by ACLakey »

Ok, I blackened the neck and taper as shown below then neck sized the case as recommended.

It appears as if I have the die set properly as it is sizing the neck with out effecting the shoulder.

I also marked up a neck sized case and put numbers in each quadrant. I started with the number 1 faced up and tried to chamber the brass, then went to the line between 1 and 2 then number 2 up ect.

The results of this little test are as follows

1 - chambered fine
1/2 - bolt pushes home, tough closing bolt
2 - will not allow bolt to push home
2/3 - will not allow bolt to push home
3 - will not allow bolt to push home
3/4 - bolt pushes home, tough to close bolt
4 - bolt pushes home, tough to close bolt
4/1 - chambers fine

It would appear the chamber is either out of round or not square with the bore...any thoughts or suggestions?
ACLakey

Post by ACLakey »

I just called the gunsmith that put the barrel on and he said the threads on the barrel looked as if they were cut a little off center. I asked what he ment and he stated that one the threads on one side of the barrel were deeper than the other......that would have been nice to know. He is retired now for medical reasons and sold the business but is a family friend that always did good work for me in the past. I think that little bit of information explanes a lot of the issues I am seeing. I am going to fire form a bunch of brass with this turd and get a quality barrel for it soon. Thanks all for the help thus far.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

ACLakey--I'm definitely not a gunsmith, but won't the brass you fire form in that rifle, with the threads deeper on one side than the other, be out of whack if you set the barrel back, have the threads recut properly, and rechamber it?????? Just wondering--I don't know the answer.

I wouldn't fire a bunch of brass in it just in case the brass wasn't usable in the barrel if you rechamber it or have a new barrel installed.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

Barrel threads unless using a unthreaded blank are precut. The only way they could be off center would be if cut off a steady rest that wasnt centered, or barrel not centered in the chuck properly. Both senarios are possibe. If it is cut wrong i am just a amature, but dont think they could be fixed. I think barrel would be junk?? :chin:
Rodeorat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmit

Post by Rodeorat »

If the barrel threads were machined off center from the bore of the barrel it would make a good fishing weight. The threads would need tobe cut off the chamber re-reamed to depth and barrel re-threaded wich would probably cost as much as new one.

rodeorat
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Try Pac-Nor Barreling - they have the reamer and will do either a pre-fit barrel you can install yourself (if you have the tools) or do the entire job. http://www.pac-nor.com