Crowns

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Crowns

Post by Lenard »

I have a mini Mauser in 223 that has lost some of its accuracy even though it does not have that many rounds thru it. My question is, how common is it for the crown to go bad just from shooting alone?

It hasn't given up too much accuracy, but certainly not up to what it was. The barrel is free of copper and other fouling. The bedding has been refreshed. The scope is good.

Lenard
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Re: Crowns

Post by Jim White »

I'd think you'd wear the barrel out before shooting out the crown, but thats just me. However, it's easy to inspect for any issues. If there is a issue, have a competent gunsmith to recrown it. The crown is the last thing that influences bullet flight from the gun.

HTH,
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Lenard: I'd just recrown it just for good measure. Like Jim, I've never heard of a barrel getting a worn out crown from just shooting, but the crown may not have been perfect when it left the factory, and a quick recrown may restore the full potential of the rifle.....just a thought.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

K22

Post by K22 »

I would think that the chamber throat would erode before the crown would.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Check everything about the scope. Especially the ocular lens. If the lock ring has come loose from increasing/decreasing power you may be having parallax issues.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

Currently there is a 10X leupold on the gun. It is one of the first they made and I was thinking of sending it in just to be checked. After all it is over 30 years old.

I have not touched the crown yet but will redo it in this next week. I doubt the gun has over 600 rounds thru it even though I have had it 15 years. I have always had another 223 to shoot. The gun has never been a tack driver, shooting into about 5/8". The thought has crossed my mind to rebarrel it, which I just may do. It is just a nice light carry gun.

Thanks for the help.

Lenard