New big game rifle. 338-06 AI

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

New big game rifle. 338-06 AI

Post by bullfrog »

It's been a project in the works for quite a while now. I think I started bothering RIO well over a year ago about his thoughts about a new a non magnum rifle suitable for everything from deer to moose. We kicked around a few calibers but I landed on a 338-06 and since my plan was to rebarrel a used rifle I decided it might as well be an improved version.
I began searching used rifles and was getting discouraged because everything worth buying had an asking price just as high as a new rifle. So finally I found a CZ 550 American in 30-06 brand new, but well priced. I liked the look/feel, action and set trigger.
Off it was to Koonce Custom Gun Works in Salem, OR for a pacnor barrel in 338-06AI.
I'm really happy with the way the gun turned out and am very excited to learn the abilities of the caliber. Dies are ordered, but a scope still needs to be purchased. Originally I was going to go with a VX3, but due to my budget (or lack there of), I think it will be a VXII. Besides, I can always upgrade to a VX3 later and move the other to a different rifle. :chin:
Thanks for reading my indulgence in the new gun, and a special thanks to Rick for all the solid advice on this project...and the advice that hopefully will come in the future for load development, etc.!!! :salute:

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Re: New big game rifle. 338-06 AI

Post by Ray P »

bullfrog................Way to go!! I sure you'll be happy with 338-06 IMP. Don't know whats so additicting about those .338 bullets and the sound they make when you connect with a game animal. Usually DRT.......period. I'm sure Rick will chime in with some pet loads for you. Nice looking piece.....bluing and barrel stamping look very professonal.
Thanks again for sharing and good luck!!
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Sagebrush Burns
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter

Post by Sagebrush Burns »

Don't know much about the 338-06 AI, but I did stay at... I do have a 35 Whelen AI and if yours works as as well as mine, you'll be a happy camper. Good luck in your quest!
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Nice. I know a fellow down in Oregon who hunts with a .338-06 AI. He's very happy with it!
TONK
.204 Ruger Guns: I own a .204 Ruger & 25-06 Ruger!

Post by TONK »

I can tell you up front that the .338-06 will do anything that it's big brother will do out to 250 yards or maybe even further. I put one together a couple of years ago out of my worn out 30-06 model 70 Winchester. It will hold true for 3 shots (really all I would ever need) before it walks the 4th & 5th an inch further out of the group. It is a joy to carry, especially in the high country looking for elk or mulie bucks. Congrats on your new rifle! :D
Thank a VET for your Freedom!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

bullfrog: NICE! She turned out well. I'm also glad you hooked up with Koonce too. Next time we talk, let me tell you who he really is.....he's almost family.

Let me know how she shoots with my pet load and after you cruise through all the reading material I gave you. That should make for a good library period for sure. ;)

Remember what Elmer Keith said about his beloved .333 OKH: "If I could only have one rifle/caliber for the rest of my life, it would be the .333 OKH." (.338-06 & .333 OKH = Same, same.) I hope yours goes to as many elk funerals as mine has. :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

bullfrog,thats too big for me,but none the less a fine looking rifle. :) . I hope it's a keeper. Cheers, Ken. PS. If anyone read before the edit, i must have had too much jungle juice. :lol:
' Pay it forward buddy '
TONK
.204 Ruger Guns: I own a .204 Ruger & 25-06 Ruger!

Post by TONK »

Bullfrog I have purchased several of those CZ rifles (mostly the wifes) and I can tell you that every one is a very good shooter off the bench. CZ makes a quality rifle and their workmanship, metal work, wood to metal fit has gotten much better over the last 4 years. Good Luck hunting with your new toy! 8) 8)
Thank a VET for your Freedom!
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

UPS guy dropped off the vxii yesterday! The weather sucked, but I couldn't help it. I got it sighted in on some fireforming loads using 200 grain speer hotcor (they were really cheap). Loads were moderate only clocking in at around 2400fps. Now it's on to some load development. I'm gonna start with some 200 grain accubonds. Nosler is close, and sometimes they have factory 2nds so hopefully it will like them. If not I could try the 210 partitions next. Got a few groups around 1" after getting it on paper, but may have been able to do slightly better with less wind/blowing snow :roll: .
Tonk - I am happy with the cz so far. I really like the trigger and the rifle feels real comfy in my arms.
Rick - thanks again for the articles. I've read through them more than once already!
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.