Shot the CZ Hornet today.

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Shot the CZ Hornet today.

Post by Lenard »

Well, I am too darned old to chase women any longer, although I still like to look. So there are not too many things that get my adrenaline going. But today, the little Hornet showed me something I haven't seen in quite a while.

The little gun shot .200 group with 40 grain VMax and .250 with a 35 grain VMax at 50 yards. The gun had 5 rounds used in sighting prior to the groups. There was about a 10 mph wind.

The load was 12.5 grains of Lil Gun powder and a Remington pistol primer. The only thing I have done with the gun, is change the main trigger spring. I could not be more elated with the results.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Shot the CZ Hornet today.

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Congrats Lenard...arin't it great when something actually goes better than expected? :eek:

Glad the little rifle is showing good early signs of being a keeper. Do be aware however, of others having pressure excursions using Lil Gun powder. In all three of my Hornets, I've standardized on AA1680, as it delivers top velocity with very reasonable pressures in both .224" and .17 bores, and with much better loading density than Lil Gun. You may already know this, but I mention it nonetheless. It's a bit what some call 'dirty', but I've never seen a 'clean' powder yet. You may also want to try Remington 6-1/2 primers too, as they were developed specifically for the Hornet case. They have the proper cup thickness for Hornet pressures also. I've used them along with 1680 in all my Hornets for years with more consistent results I ever got back in the days I used pistol primers. Just a thought....

I hope your new little walkabout rifle sees some good action on chucks come next spring! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Lenard

Post by Lenard »

Rick, thanks for the kind words and information. One of the reasons I always start below maximum, is I don't want excess pressures. As I have said before, I have less concern for velocity than I do for accuracy. All I can think of is shooting rats and chucks this coming spring. I have a place down at Klamath that needs some rat shooting done early as the populations are pretty high. The property belongs to the fellow that owns the dairy where I shoot starling. So I have the run of the ranch at Klamath.

I am sure, the way the guns shoots, it will become one of my favorites.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Rick in Oregon wrote:
It's a bit what some call 'dirty', but I've never seen a 'clean' powder yet.
Yep, I've been lookng for that too, as well as the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Jim
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Lenard: Well, I hope the spring weather is in our favor next year and we can all get out for a good season. Your new little Hornet should please you well, I'm sure. I'm not so sure the chucks will agree though.

The pressure excursions I mentioned with Lil Gun were not confined to max or near max loads, quite the contrary. You may want to do some research on the powder before you settle in to making it your standard.

Just for fun, here's one of my Hornets, an Oregon Kimber Mdl 82 Classic with a Hart stainless 22 K-Hornet barrel and a little Leupold 3-9X Compact w/AO and target knobs for a walkabout rifle. It loves the old 45gr Nosler Solid Base at 2,950 fps for .5" groups all day with no pressure whatever. It'll drive the 40gr and lighter plastic tipped stuff over 3,000 fps, but I've got thousands of the old 45's, and they really seem to work with AA1680 on rats and chucks inside of 275 yards.

The really nice thing about any Hornet, is that a can of powder gives you about 500 - 600 rounds. Depending on your component prices, a Hornet can be cheaper to shoot than a 17HMR. Nice. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

SShooterZ
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint - Savage 12 w/ Custom PacNor 1:11

Post by SShooterZ »

I've seen similar success with my Hornet also. Just a great gun, great round and so much fun to shoot.
Lenard

Post by Lenard »

I finally got out christmas day to shoot the Hornet. It was mid 30's with a bone chilling wind and I was cold quickly being out in it.

The 35 grain Vmax shot .650 at 100 yards while the 40 grain Vmax shot .600. Pretty good for the weather and a new gun that is out of the box without working up a load.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Lenard: Considering the weather/temp, new rifle, and the Hornet chambering, I'd say you have one of the true "keeper" Hornets there, bud. :D

Now that we all know she shoots, you're now obligated to post pics of both the new Hornet, and some fat Oregon chucks come spring.......(I'm told it WILL come......eventually. ;) )

Congrats on a fine shooting Hornet. Just gotta love those CZ's!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Lenard

Post by Lenard »

Rick, I am not much for posting pictures. I don't know how and not sure I want to go thru the host programs.

I did take pictures of the gun though but would have to send them direct to someone who would care to post them.

I think the hornet will be a favorite for those rats out there between 100-150 yards, maybe a tad further. Most of all, it will be a very nice carry rifle.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Just about anybody here will post them for you Lenard. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen