6mm BR

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

6mm BR

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

I am looking for a gun with a little punch, something to get out to about 600 yards. Im just going to use it for fun shooting but I want to make it a good shooter. I was thinking a savage LRPV in 6mm BR with a leupold VX-3 8.5-25-50. How hard is it to reload this caliber?
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Re: 6mm BR

Post by Mike »

Not hard at all.

One of my friends has the exact rifle and scope combo (with VH reticle) that you're looking at and I got the chance to shoot it a bit out in South Dakota last year. The rifle was accurate, so to that end it should provide what you're looking for. Best of luck.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

A close friend has a nice Cooper Varmint in 6BR, and shooting the 70gr Nosler BT, he is almost "with me" out to 600 yards when I'm shooting my 243 Ackley....almost. It is a VERY accurate caliber, cheap to load for in terms of powder consumption, and most likely one of the most useful 6mm varmint calibers around right now. I've seen his in action on both rock chucks and sage rats (ground squirrels), and it's impressive.

If you try it, doubtful you'll be disappointed. It's no harder to load than any other rifle cartridge.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

Thanks guys, what do you think about the VH Reticle on a 6br?
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I love the VH reticle, but you now can get a free turret on some VX3 scopes that is range calibrated to your cartridge. Range a target at 300, 400, 550 and dial to that distance on your turret. Hold right on and sqeeze the 6 ounce accu-trigger for a perfect hit.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Even though I'm primarily a knob twister/dialer (I love "Dial-A-Rat!"), I've got the VHR in six of my varmint scopes for when the shooting's fast.....great reticle, and the best one out there for precision work at long range IMHO.

The wind ticks or hold-offs in the VHR are worth the price of admission alone, weather you're dialing or using the reticle for range hold-over. It would be the perfect reticle for a nice rifle in 6BR.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

Rick is right on when he says the VHR is great for hold-offs; I am a Knob Twister too and on my VLP I have a VHR Reticle, but on my LRPV I prefer the Target Dot reticle. Both work very well for me but for me, the Target Dot reticle is less cluttered.
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
Mike

Post by Mike »

I liked the VH reticle enough that I bought one to go on my Cooper. In heavily populated prairie dog fields, the VH reticle seems to be ideal for the reasons that Rick and others have mentioned.

Not to rain on the Savage parade, but I feel that it's worth mentioning that my friend's LRPV had to go back to Savage because the chamber was not cut properly. The chamber was not perfectly round, so brass fire formed to the chamber shape and caused issues when reloading. Savage took the gun back for review, but claimed that the chamber was within spec! My friend protested and eventually got a new barrel. To make matters worse, one day my friend came home and found a UPS box sitting on his porch. In the box was someone else's rifle!!

In the end everything worked out, but my buddy was less than impressed. For my money, a Cooper isn't that much more expensive than an LRPV and is a whole lot more rifle.
giterdone

Post by giterdone »

Come on Mike....We all know that deep down you really want to buy a new Savage 12LRPV but your afraid it might outshoot your Cooper.
BTW...Didn't you have to send your Cooper back for repair?
Mike

Post by Mike »

giterdone wrote:Come on Mike....We all know that deep down you really want to buy a new Savage 12LRPV but your afraid it might outshoot your Cooper.
BTW...Didn't you have to send your Cooper back for repair?
I've had the Cooper next to an LRPV and would place my bets on the rifles from Montana all day long. That's not to say that the LRPV (or any other Savage) doesn't shoot, because they certainly do. I just like a rifle that looks as good as it shoots. I appreciate the accuracy and value of a Savage and have absolutely no qualms about those rifles. They're just not for me.

Yep, I sent my Cooper back for repair. BUT, that repair was due to a faulty Hornady round blowing out a primer and bending my firing pin. Hardly reason to blame Cooper for that one.
giterdone

Post by giterdone »

Mike..... Im not surprised that out of the thousands of rifles that Savage makes that someone at sometime will drop the ball and it will get out the door. I have to admit that the Cooper is a fine looking rifle but I would be willing to bet that they get some back for repair too, perhaps not as many as Savage but then again they are not making as many also. Thanks for being a good sport.
Mike

Post by Mike »

giterdone wrote:Mike..... Im not surprised that out of the thousands of rifles that Savage makes that someone at sometime will drop the ball and it will get out the door. I have to admit that the Cooper is a fine looking rifle but I would be willing to bet that they get some back for repair too, perhaps not as many as Savage but then again they are not making as many also. Thanks for being a good sport.
Oh, I have absolutely no doubt that Cooper and everyone else has a dud come back every now and then. I didn't mean to imply that Savage was any worse than other manufacturers just because my friend had a problem with his. In the end, Savage took care of the problem and that is really what matters.

I'm always happy to talk about shooting sticks. :)