Savage Bolt Question

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
aorelup
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BGTVS

Savage Bolt Question

Post by aorelup »

Hello all,

I have a Savage 12BGTVS in 204. There was damage to the crown/muzzle when I received the rifle and sent it back to Savage for repairs - fast, easy process. However, once it returned, I noticed the bolt was a bit 'loose' on it.

By loose, I mean I can put my finger on the side of the bolt and wiggle it around a bit when it is in the closed position. I know the Savage has a floating head on the bolt and really pay attention to that area too and it appears to move slightly as well. I do not know how this can be accurate.

Is this common with Savages? Did they possibly do a sloppy job of reassembling the rifle after repairs? What would cause this movement and what can I do to fix it? (Short of sending it back to Savage for further repairs).

Thanks in advance.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Savage Bolt Question

Post by acloco »

The rear bolt screw is loose, allowing the handle to move on the bolt body.

If yours is a newer model Savage, it will be a hex (allen) type bolt.
aorelup

Post by aorelup »

How much torque is enough when tightening this bolt down? 1/4 turn from shearing off or what?
acloco

Post by acloco »

aorelup wrote:How much torque is enough when tightening this bolt down? 1/4 turn from shearing off or what?
LOL! Yes! :)

I torque mine to 15 ft lbs.

Was this the issue???
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

acloco: As you know, I don't own a Savage, but fifteen FOOT POUNDS? :eek: Are you suuuuuree? Maybe "inch pounds", just maybe?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

aorelup

Post by aorelup »

acloco wrote: LOL! Yes! :)

I torque mine to 15 ft lbs.

Was this the issue???
Don't know yet, I have to get a three foot length of lead pipe to get some leverage on my allen wrench. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You funny guy! :D

(Remember the old one that goes something like "There's no mechanical problem that can't be overcome by ignorance, brute strength, and a bigger hammer". Always loved that one. )
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Cover Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BGTVSS

Post by Cover Dog »

Well after lurking here for most of the summer I registered so I could post. I am active on several other boards, with the same name "Cover Dog".

aorelup...I read your question about your BGTV and don't have the bolt problem you have, but had the exact same damage to the crown on my new 204 BGTVSS. It looked as if someone had tried to hammer something into the muzzel and made indents in 3 different places. It also was somewhat out of round.

Not wanting to wait on Savage I had a local smith re-crown with an 11 deg. target crown. I did not shoot it with the damage but since I am very pleased with the results. High 2's to high 3's with Berger 35gr. avg. 3844fps. Haven't found the right load yet with Sierra 39gr BK. Going to give the 40gr V-Max a try.
acloco

Post by acloco »

Rick in Oregon wrote:acloco: As you know, I don't own a Savage, but fifteen FOOT POUNDS? :eek: Are you suuuuuree? Maybe "inch pounds", just maybe?
It is a 7/16 or 1/2" bolt, fine thread....no kidding.
aorelup

Post by aorelup »

acloco: Yes this fixed the problem. Thanks a bunch for your help. It felt more like the wrench was going to be the point of failure while muscling it.

Coverdog: That is peculiar that the same damage was present on both of our rifles - mine is a bgtvss too.

Have yet to fire this bad boy - waiting on my glass to arrive. I did get some dies however and have brass on the way. Hopefully my groups turn out being brag-worthy on here!
acloco

Post by acloco »

Cool. Glad it worked out.

15 foot lbs is not much. Most people do not realize the strength they have in their hands, even with a small allen wrench, let alone, a short 1/4 or 3/8 ratchet.
aorelup

Post by aorelup »

Well if my allen wrench is 6 inches long, I have to put 30 pounds of force on it to get 15 ft/pounds. That is pretty hard to be pushing on a little wrench - hands don't like it!
broncsandwhiskey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage modle 12 LRPV

Post by broncsandwhiskey »

If it don't fit force it, If it breaks it needed replaced anyways. LOL. That is the motto that we live by at work. I am glad your Savage is fine now. Ride Up!!!
RIDE UP!!!
Savage LRPV .204 With a Burris 6.5x20 Mill Dot
And alot of other savage rat killers