How sooped up can you load a 30-30?

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

How sooped up can you load a 30-30?

Post by Va varminter »

Thinking about getting a barrel for my encore and just want to know. I know I can save the hassal and get a 308 or 7-08. But I think it would be pretty cool to have a long range 30-30.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: How sooped up can you load a 30-30?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

VA: A "long range" 30-30??? :chin:

You'd be much better off with either the .308 or 7mm-08, believe me. Check the ballistics of the 30-30 before you spend any money.

With all the excellent calibers available for the Encore or Contender, I'm a bit miffed why you'd want a 30-30 barrell instead of a modern high intensity caliber that would really shine. That is unless you want a companion rifle to an existing lever action you already own.

You can always Ackley Improve a 30-30, but even then, it would never match the performance of either of the calibers mentioned above.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Post by Bunnybuster »

I'm fairly confident that the Contender will handle the increase in pressure, and bolt thrust from increasing the pressure above the 42-ksi, SAAMMI spec of a 30-30, to the 62-ksi of a 308. And, at that pressure, I would expect to get about 90% of the velocity from the the 30-30, of what the 308 will deliver.

This is assuming that the 30-30 case, which is designed for the 42-ksi load pressures of the 30-30 will handle the increased pressure. I think the case will really be your weak link, and start to split about an 1/8-inch in from the rim. You could lessen the potential by fire forming the brass, and only neck sizing. But I think it would still be a problem.

I'm with Rick, and wouldn't want to devote the time and effort required to do the load development to get there, when there are lots of other chamberings avaialble that are there.

But, if you are looking for something to tinker with just because you want to tinker, have at it.
Va varminter

Post by Va varminter »

I would still use the load data from my manual, based off of the T/C pistol loads(rifle loads still for lever guns). I just think with some of the new bullets around now that I could have an effective deer rifle. The new Lever Evolution stuff claims to reach way out there. I just think that if I find the right bullet, that out of a 26" barrel, it would just be neat to see what it can do. And like I stated and you as well. There are much better choices than a 30-30 with less hassel. But the same can be said for everyone that has all mannor of varmint wildcat, when the 204 and or 22-250 can do it better.
Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Post by Bunnybuster »

I'm not saying don't do it. I just think there are better choices. Like I said, I would expect the cases to be the limiting component. But I could be wrong.

Buy a barrel and have a go at it. Worst case scenario is that you will decide it isn't working and sell the barrel for half of what you paid for it.
tckurt
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Encore

Post by tckurt »

Just found your post.
You can load the 30-30 for a T/c hotter than factory.
I have a encore 26" and I use 150 Hornady SST bullets
and 375 Win brass necked to 3030. 2500/2600fps
No it won't run with the 308 but it will do a lot better than factory.
Va varminter

Post by Va varminter »

Why are you necking down the 375 win.? Is regular 30-30 brass not strong enough. From what I've read, the Encore pistol load would be pretty good if shot from a 26-28" barrel.
tckurt
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Encore

Post by tckurt »

Va varminter wrote:Why are you necking down the 375 win.? Is regular 30-30 brass not strong enough. From what I've read, the Encore pistol load would be pretty good if shot from a 26-28" barrel.
The loads I have are way over max for a 3030 published loads.
I used the 375 as it is heavier brass than 3030 this would be good brass to make 3030Ai but I don't have one.
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

No clue, never handloaded ammo with the intent of "sooping" anything up. Thats why they make bigger chambered guns. In an Encore there is no reason I can think of to do this. In a Contender a 30-30AI at max level is about as good as it gets for that gun.

Given the amount of powder a typical 30-30 case will hold there is absolutely no reason to think you will get any benefit from the longer barrel.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator
sixshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger number 1

Post by sixshooter »

Just something to consider. If you make really hot loads for you 30-30 you may leave them laying around and forget how hot they are. If they find there way into an old lever gun it could be trouble. Probably woulnt because you would most likely use a better bullet design than would work in a lever gun but just a thought.

My buddy had a ruger .45 long colt that he always said he could load lots hotter than my .44 He got into cowboy shooting and got a handfull of .45's and boy is he paranoid about his ammo.
Va varminter

Post by Va varminter »

As stated earlier, I would not exceed max loads from my nosler manual(under 30-30 for encore or contender). But was thinking of using some of the high BC 30 cal. bullets out there.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Many years ago, when I was suffering from blast damage and concussion caused by IHMSA Silhouette shooting, I used a Contender pistol in .30-30. Loved the 130 grain Speer's and 150 grain Sierra's driven by H322 or H4895, Ball C2 also worked exceptionally, but the muzzle blast would raise the dead.

Being slightly addled by too much muzzle blast, I experimented with .375 Winchester brass reformed into .30-30. The .375 Win brass is heavier in the web than .30-30 and a bit stronger. The reformed cases are slightly shorter in the neck but fully functional and capable of handling maximum loads with little stretching. Forming also allowed me to set the case headspace to exactly match my pistol's chamber and slop. The same thing can be done with .30-30 brass by necking it up to .35 and back down to .30 until the action just closes, then fire forming. 10 shot groups at or just under 1" at 50 yards with iron sights were normal. 200 meter hits on the 50 pound steel rams cleaned them right off their feet. Took a few trophies home with that combination.

Actually the .30-30 is a very accurate cartridge, it's the rifles chambered for it that limit the potential. Then there is the Ackley chamber with a bit more capacity. It's all fun.