search is over

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
cynergyguy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV

search is over

Post by cynergyguy »

Finally after many trips to the range(at least 20) with my LRPV in 204 I finally found something it likes, 39 blitzkings and re-10x 5 shots and a one hole group. I was just about to give up on the 204 and order a barrel in 222, I guess one should never give up but the 204 is the hardest cartrige I have reloaded, I guess I am so happy I just had to tell someone. And thanks guys for all the info on this site.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Re: search is over

Post by Lenard »

I think you have hit on something here. Never had a centerfire 224 that took near the work as my 700 204, I am not sure I would buy another 204 specifically for that reason. My 223's started shooting with just about any old load and that really spoiled me.

I am happy to hear you stayed with it long enough to overcome.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Yep, gotta agree with you both on the difficulty of finding a good load for the 204. Plus my dislike for many of them not shooting the 40gr Nosler Ballistic Tip well. Plus their very limited bullet selection, and any that actually works well.

RL10X is one of the very best / most accurate powders in the 204. Benchmark can also be just as good in several rifles I've seen, including my own. H4895 ain't bad!

However, with all that said, the 204 is indeed one extremely accurate caliber and an absolute joy to shoot. But it really has nothing over the 223. At least in practical terms & as already mentioned the 223 will shoot almost anything you put through it, along with LOTS of bullet selections & powders that work great.

Anyway, glad you got your 204 all dialed in and ready to go.
Frank
THE BEST VACATIONS ARE WHEN SOMETHING DIES... FISHING ETC
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Guess I was lucky. Once the gun was tuned up the load testing produced some darn tight groups. I need to recheck velocity levels though.

Using factory loads as a reference it seems that the 204 has quite a bit over the 223. Now, if a 223 had a 1x8 twist I'd grab that. Anything slower I think I'd rebarrel as quickly as possible. Those 1x8 barrels will easily clean 300 yard targets from a AR-15 (Service Rifle) as long as the wind doesn't get to changing to much.
Frank

Post by Frank »

That's true, the 204 "factory" rounds are indeed higher velocity. However, one will never get a handload to meet, much less out do factory 204 velocities. In fact, hanloads are often times considerably lower.

My 223, will shoot 40 gr Noslers over 3800 fps w/ 28.5gr of Benchmark. Now, the coeffiecent is not as high as a 204, & thus the 204 needs approx 3700 fps for the same (223) trajectory with all things (weather &/or elevation) being equal. Which many times they are not btw! So again, I anyway, see little to no practical difference between the two calibers in performance, with the 223 having the much better and more versatile bullet selections, AND shooting them accurately.

Pls don't misunderstand me, I do LOVE my 204. I just don't buy all the hype that goes with it. I am more inclined to believe my chronographed results in other words.
THE BEST VACATIONS ARE WHEN SOMETHING DIES... FISHING ETC
rfurman24
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12

Post by rfurman24 »

That's funny I thought the Consensus was that the best load for most 204s is re10x and 39sbks. Both of my 204s prefer this combo. Very simple load work up for both.
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Post by Va varminter »

I have loaded for two 204's. A T/C and a Savage. The Encore took a little work to get 1/4" groups. But the savage was dead nuts from the get go. If you want a "hard" caliber to try to work up a load, try the 220 Swift :wall: :mad: :eew: .
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Why didn't you guys just ask me?
220 Swift always does well with IMR 4064 and 52 gr Sierra bullets
204 always does well with R10X and 39 BK's

If your rifle don't shoot those combo's trade it off and try another they make lots of 'em.
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

rfurman24 wrote:That's funny I thought the Consensus was that the best load for most 204s is re10x and 39sbks. Both of my 204s prefer this combo. Very simple load work up for both.
Yup, mine too. I have 2 loads I'm using. 24.7 grains that give a little less energy but groups of .317" and a hunting load, a touch over max at 25.3. Gives a little more punch and still holds a .43" group.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Hey, don't sell the .204 Ruger short! Why my little home made screw together Savage action and Shilen barrel rifle finally started delivering good groups with the Barnes Varmint Grenade! :eek: Varmint Grenades - can you believe it? (dang lead-free area here in California.) Problem was I seated them little bullets too far out, at .020" off the lands. Dropped them back to the factory OAL and they really shined. 25.2 Grains of RL-10x, a Winchester or Hornady case and Remington 71/2 primer and 8 of 10 went through a .246" hole, with one wind flier and one total complete trigger goof. Them little bullets were averaging 4,085 fps to boot. Man I love this thing - it doesn't knock my cut and paste cervical spine about. I'm taking it to eastern Oregon in June for a bit of fun. This is one fun cartridge!
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

"That's true, the 204 "factory" rounds are indeed higher velocity. However, one will never get a handload to meet, much less out do factory 204 velocities."

Have to disagree Frank.

Ran some 40 gr Hornady factory loads through my CZ for 3741 fps.

Ran my handloads w/same bullet, same brass, 205 Federals and 29 grains of BLC(2) and got 3791 fps, a 50 fps increase over the factory loads... Same day, same range, same rifle, fired within minutes of each other.

FWIW, Guy