What do you look for in a custom rifle.

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

What do you look for in a custom rifle.

Post by bullfrog »

I'm hoping to buy a new rifle with my tax return (wife wants a new kitchen table...but we'll see). I am most likely going to buy something new off the shelf, but have been keeping my eye out for used stuff also. Only problem is, with my limited knowledge of guns and actions, how do I know the value/quality of a custom gun. Especially if you can't fondle it because it is on gunbroker, etc. Is it just a gamble, or are there things you should avoid?
This would be a big game hunting rifle.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Re: What do you look for in a custom rifle.

Post by Va varminter »

The one thing that worries me above all else is barrel condition on a used gun. Not so much with bigger calibers, but the varmint stuff for sure.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Re: What do you look for in a custom rifle.

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I have bought a few used rifles off Gun Broker and done well. Most heavy hitting rifles don't get alot of rounds down the barrel because the kick makes it to uncomfortable to do so. The less they have messed with the rifle the better in terms of home gun smithing. Good stock and good trigger. Find a good stock on a Savage with a accutrigger and you got it. Or put a trigger on a Ruger. Or buy a Remmington and adjust the trigger. I have tried to get squirrel gun accuracy from deer rifles and they will do it. A scope with fine hairs. A light trigger tight stock and a good load. None of these are really needed for big game except a good stock and good load. Trigger can be average and I like a thick duplex hair so I can put it on target fast. I have mounted 18X power scopes on large caliber rifles to get tight groups at the range. Change triggers and glass bedded action along with the reloads. It was a good learning expeareance. Also I always add a soft kick pad.