Somethin to play with.

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Somethin to play with.

Post by bullfrog »

A friend of mine is selling a bunch a stuff trying to pay down some bills and told me to come look at some shotguns he had. I need a better shotgun for turkeys, so off I went. I didn't really like what he had, but he also wanted to get rid of this remington model six.

From what I could gather the model six is a version of the 7600 they made in the 80's.
This one's chambered in 308 win. I figure it could make a great blacktail brush gun. Maybe make it my work horse that stays in the pickup. Or just something to play with.
I paid him $300 for it and figured I couldn't go wrong. Did I? I don't have any experience with these rifles, and am really more a bolt guy, but it was in nice shape. Anybody got an opinion on the remington 7600? Don't hold back, I want to hear it all.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: Somethin to play with.

Post by futuretrades »

from the looks of the rifle, i don't think you got hurt. i don't have any personal experience with the rem pump rifles, but i know of at least 6 people i know that had them in a number of different calibers. all of them have been traded in on other firearms. they just don't want to shoot very good groups. more like patterns than groups.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
YoteSmoker
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varminter

Post by YoteSmoker »

Good brush hunting gun but can be rattly and the trigger is more like a shotgun trigger pull.
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Post by Va varminter »

My dad had a 7400 in .270. It shot ok, but he had to by round nose ammo for it. He bought a box of Hornady ammo for it one time(pointed soft point) and had problems. When the action fed a round it would shave some of the exposed lead tip and some of the copper jacket. I tried reloading for it, but it just jammed. But it did shoot those round nose bullets good enough for a brush gun.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

I definately knew that it wasn't gonna be a bench gun so to speak. I don't need incredible accuracy out of it, just decent. I am having second thoughts after I realized it doesn't have sling swivels, but I'm sure I can find a way to get a sling on it. I will, however, not be happy if it jams all the time. Others that have them say that as long as you watch your cartridge oal you should be ok. I guess if I don't like it I can always trade it in on something. :?
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

The models Six and 7600s are really nice rifles, disguised as shotguns. They are about ten times the rifles the autoloaders are, and usually the guys who own them, love them. Since Pennsylvania doesn't allow hunting with autoloading rifles, they are the next best thing, they call them the "Amish Machine Guns" up there :lol: :lol:

A surprising number of them will shoot MOA, the barrels are floating free, and with a little trigger work, they shoot pretty good. I've seen several out and about, the owners rave about them. They are fairly light, most of the time, too, which doesn't hurt anything. Uncle Mikes makes a swivel attachment that encircles the barrel for those rifles, you just need to drill the buttstock for a swivel stud.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
22shooter

Post by 22shooter »

My father had a Remington 760 pump in 30-06. It was purchase new in about 1956. I bought it for Dad for a Christmas present, my mom paid for it. It replaced a Remington model 1917 30-06. It was more than accurate for Utah Mule deer. My dad has past away now but I still have the Model 760. Every year or two I take it out and shoot it. It still shoot 1 1/2 inch 3 shoot groups at 100 yards. It's is a great old gun.