New Rifle!!!

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

New Rifle!!!

Post by Verminator2 »

Hey guys, got a new rifle on Monday last week. It's a .280 AI with a Shilen fluted barrel, Boyd JRS stock, bedded, and the trigger reworked to 3#. Stuck a Redfield 6-18 we had laying around. I found some 145 Speer SPBT that we don't use so I just loaded a few up from 52.5-53.5 grains of H4831. 53gr. shot the best at .663, not to shabby for its first time out, shows some promise.

Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Re: New Rifle!!!

Post by dannybracy »

SWEET!!!!!!

:eek: I like it. Let us know if you get any better groups with it. I am thinking about building a rifle soon. It'll be my first one..... we'll see though. -Dan
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
Verminator2

Post by Verminator2 »

Thanks. I'll be picking up some factory second 160 Accubonds to try in it, I think that would be a sweet elk/deer bullet. I think that with some more work that it will definately be a less than 3/4 minute gun, hopefully a 1/2 minute if I'm lucky. Not that I need that for deer and elk, but it sure makes you feel good :lol: (until you miss :lol: ) I actually bought this one used so I didn't build it. I do have a .243 AI that I put together, it sure is fun picking out all the parts.
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

nice
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

Sweet rig Verm.
I like the caliber. Seems like the 280 improved is really getting more popular and for good reason. Don't wait to long to shed some blood with it. :wtg:
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

That ought to work real well!

Keep us updated with a range report when you can. I'll bet that thing lay's 'em in there...
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Nice score there Verm2. Looks like that puppy has some great potential. Try some 140gr Accubond's for deer, and save the heavier 160's for elk. I've found that in 7mm, the 140gr is a great all-around weight, and maybe the best balanced bullet weight for the seven bore in 'standard' cases. Less recoil too, so you may shoot the 140's a bit better to boot. But I'll be the first to admit that with the 160gr Accubond having a BC of .531, it's a dynamite long range bullet. (The 140gr AB has a BC of .485....still no slouch!)

Good luck with the new piece.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Verminator2

Post by Verminator2 »

Thanks guys. Count on it bullfrog ;)

Rick: That was the main reason I chose that bullet, it has a great B.C and should perform well on elk. Would the 140gr. be alright on elk? I heard that the 162 Amax was a pretty good long range bullet (.621 :eek: ) as far as performance goes, supposed to go in and blow up. Didn't really want to take a chance on it though with so many hunting oriented bullets with a good B.C. The 154 Interbond/SST has a B.C of around .521 I think those would probably be good too. We'll have to see what shoots good I guess.