Number One!

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
Guy M

Number One!

Post by Guy M »

Not my first Ruger Number One, but just got this one today. It's an early 1980's 7mm Rem mag, and it shoots pretty well too:

Looking forward to a lot of years of hunting with this rifle. Who needs more than one shot? :D
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Re: Number One!

Post by Ray P »

Guy M..........Way to go! Beautiful piece of wood. Good luck and enjoy..................Love those No.1's
Later
Ray P :wink:
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Guy: Congratulations! Those 80's rifles all had very nice wood, and your appears to be no exception. I also like the "one shot, one kill" philosophy, and as soon as I find a good donor rifle, intend to rebarrel one to .280 Ackley. Your Seven Mag should reach out there quite well with its 26" barrel too. I've been tempted to dink with my No.1 Varmint in .223 a few times, but always come back to "it ain't broke....." That also justifies another No.1 in the safe, as mine has accounted for countless rodents in five states, so it will stay in its current configuration until that barrel is shot out completely. The No.3 I built in 17 Ackley Hornet is also a sound performer.....gotta love those single shot Rugers! I wish I could find another donor Ruger No.3 out there somewhere......anyone?

I'm sure that puppy will give you years of good hunting memories. Be sure to post it's first "harvest". :mrgreen:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Well, for accuracy testing, I swapped out the scope in favor of a 4.5-14x Leupold, and took it to the range with some factory loaded 150 grain Remington ammo. Here's the first group at 300 yards:

Not stellar, but it shows me that the rifle has potential. Am looking forward to working up some precision handloads for it, and likely using it for mule deer hunting this fall. Will update as I work up some better shooting loads. I'd like to cut this down to a 3" group at 300 yards, or better.

I'm so enthused about this rifle that I could see hunting with a small battery of single shots:

A varminter in .204

A light-recoiling deer rifle, like a .25-06 or a 7x57

This 7mm Rem mag for longish range mule deer, elk and maybe black bear

Maybe a bigger bore for fun, a .45/70 or ???
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Guy M.............Good luck and when you find a pet load you won't look back! No.1 are as bad as "The Ruger 204" Got 3 rifles chambered for the little 204. Got 3 No.1's 7mm mag still in the box, 300 win mag. (2 deer so far), Ruger 204 varmint. All stainless/grey laminate stocls. Will do and get a pic posted of my M77 in 7x57, she's wearing 4.5x14x50 leupold. Taking her to the range to day to sight her in.
Later and enjoy the weekend!
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

Guy M, my sentiments entirely, who does need more than one shot!Where i shoot there's a lot of prep.goes into most shots so i don't want to have to rely on a backup shot.If i don't think i can do the job first shot i don't do the first shot, simple as that. When you get to my age it's much easier to pass on a shot.There's always another one even though it may be weeks away :D
' Pay it forward buddy '