good bullet for hogs ?

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

good bullet for hogs ?

Post by cshooter »

Me and a buddy have 270 winchesters and was wondering about what kind of bullet would be good for hogs in this caliber ? He is leaning towards a heavier 150 gr Interbond, or 140 gr Accubond type bullet. I'm thinking a 130 gr Partion would be fine. A buddy at work said he uses plain ol Remington 150 gr Core Locks. I'm shooting Balistic tips now, and have some 130 gr Sierra Gamekings in the cabinet that group really good. But with that tough grisle plate they say hogs have, these may be too lightly constructed. SO, I don't know. Any experienced hog hunters like to chime in ?
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: good bullet for hogs ?

Post by acloco »

Stick with the 150 flavors of a bonded or similar. In this case, you do want the bullet to penetrate stem to stern while mushrooming along the way. As you pointed out, that first structure at the front or side of a pig can be a tough one to get through.

The 130's might work, but at the speed they are travelling, they might just bounce off as well.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: good bullet for hogs ?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Our buddy acloco has it right, in that if using a .270 Win, I'd also recommend the 150gr bullet because of the high velocity issue with the 130gr. Any centerfire deer rifle will kill a hog from .243W upwards, using "regular" bullets. But if you want all the advantage you can get, then use a premium bullet such as Barnes TSX, Nosler Partition, Speer Grand Slam, etc. It may be overkill, but they'll all work virtually every time as intended.

I'm no expert, but have killed many hogs, mostly with handguns. One of the largest was killed from a single bullet from my Colt Woodsman .22LR through the ear to finish him off after being wounded by a 100gr .243W bullet poorly placed from 300 yards away.

If you intend to use a handgun on large boars, I'd suggest using nothing smaller than a .44 Mag with hard cast bullets or larger, as the hard cast bullets will penetrate completely almost every time, even after encountering bone.

It's posted elsewhere, but here's the Russian Razorback slain with my Colt Woodsman:

Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails