Dryfireing

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Dryfireing

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

I know there are probly many differant opinons on this but what do you think about dryfireing bolt actions? On shotguns I dryfire my gun everytime I close it because it has a floating fireing pin and does no harm to the gun. On rifles I normally pull the trigger THEN close the bolt. Is this bad? is it bad to flat out dry fire the gun? just wondering what your thoughts on this are. :D
foxwhistler
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington L.V.S.F

Re: Dryfireing

Post by foxwhistler »

I use snap caps in my rifle,but that is not because i know it will damage the gun,but because i dont know if it will.I`d rather be safe than sorry. :(
I only have to be lucky once,
the fox has to be lucky every time!
Arizona Hunter

Post by Arizona Hunter »

I too use snap caps (any brand will work) for all my guns. I don't know if damage would occur without them, but for the price why take a chance? Also, with a bolt action it allows you to practice cycling the action and see and feel a "cartridge" being fed then ejected.
Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Post by Bunnybuster »

On most (I think all, but not having seen all, I'll say most), bolt action rifles the firing pin and cocking indicator are locked together, and most bolt actions actually cock on opening the bolt.

If you hold the trigger down, and slowly close the bolt, the cocking indicator, and firing pin attached to it slowly move forward to the "relaxed" position, as if the gun has been fired.

Thus, there isn't any way for the firing pin to get damaged or damage anything else, if you slowly close the bolt while holding the trigger back.
fattrav10

Post by fattrav10 »

not an issue on any CENTER FIRE bolt action that i know cooper kimber rem savage mauser browning howa mossberg weatherby winchester t/c smith&wesson