New Project - Building a "black rifle"

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

New Project - Building a "black rifle"

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Well after my trip to Nebraska prairie dog hunting, I decided I "needed" to add a semi-auto to the collection. Several of the guys had AR's on the trip and it looked like it was a blast to shoot a semi-auto and skippy.

I picked up a Rock River lower with a set trigger. The standard trigger is 3 lbs and if you use the selector switch to set the trigger, it breaks cleanly at 1 lb. It is going to take me some time to come up with the funds to finish the project but plans are for a Leupold VX-III scope, LaRue tactical SPR / M4 Scope Mount QD LT-104, Magpul MIAD Grip and then either a 6.5 Grendel upper (Les Baer) or a 6mm WOA (white oak arms) upper. I haven't made a decision on which caliber to go with yet. I know I want something larger than .204 or .223. I'm looking to make a bigger splat on skippy!

I'll keep everyone updated on the progress of the project and post some pictures as I begin the build.
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
Squatting Wolf

Re: New Project - Building a "black rifle"

Post by Squatting Wolf »

I got some additional information from John at White Oak Armament and I think I'm almost decided on the 6mm WOA. It uses 6.8 Remington SPC brass necked down to 6mm. In a 24" barrel the light 70-75 gr varmint bullets will run about 3250-3350 fps, 107 grainers about 2700. From the information that I've gathered it sounds like an extremely accurate round that should be good on varmints at long ranges.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Why are you going with something that causes a FLAT WALLET? Build a 243 on an AR10 platform.

243 or 243AI will do EVERYTHING the other 6mm will do....including shooting distance.

I like your pick of caliber/round....but I have a hard time buying one off stuff. Dies and brass REALLY add up quick.
Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

acloco - I guess I've always got to have something a little different plus I got a smoking deal on the Rock River AR15 lower with a Williams set trigger so I need someting that will fit on that platform. Another reason is White Oak Arms is only about 15-20 minutes from my house so it's nice to keep the business local.

The 6.8 SPC brass is sigificantly higher than the .204 brass for example but really isn't much more than .243 brass. John at WOA also makes the dies and has them on hand and they really aren't any more than the set of Redding competition dies that I bought for my .204. Either way, it's going to be an expensive build!

I doubt I'll buy 1500 rounds of brass like I did my .204 either, I was thinking if I could 300-400 rounds, I could use that while letting my barrel on my .204 cool down during next years trip to Nebraska!
acloco

Post by acloco »

Ah...your reasoning is sound. Almost the inside track on everything from dies on up.

NOW it is clear.
Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

some say it's sound, some say it's insane.... :lol: This will be my first "custom" gun project where I am choosing components so it's going to be fun. I am interested in building a large caliber boltgun as well but it'll have to wait until this project is over. I had plans to build the boltgun 1st but then the opportunity to pick up the lower fell in my lap so I jumped on it.
acloco

Post by acloco »

Followed the same path as you...planned the builds, started to acquire parts....and then.....ALL of the remaining parts became available at almost the exact same time. THAT was a problem!! LOL!