Barrel Quality????

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Barrel Quality????

Post by Critter »

This weekend while in Oregon I stopped at a well known Gun Store in the Portland Area, and was looking at a Ruger Single Shot rifle.

The store owner advised me to consider CZ instead as Ruger Rifles have a reputation for poor quality barrels and accuracy.

Does Ruger have poor barrels or just a public relations problem? I thought that a Single shot would make an interesting varmint rifle.

Whats going on??? :eek:
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: Barrel Quality????

Post by glenn asher »

In the past, Ruger outsourced their barrels from various places, with various results :( Some rifles shot very well, others, well......... not so very well.
When they moved to Prescott, AZ, they bought a hammerforging machine and now make their own barrels. According to John Barsness, they are as good as any factory barrel, now. I have to say that my older Rugers shot "okay" and were plenty good enough to kill a deer or twenty :D That was all I asked of them.
Since that time, I haven't owned any 77s, nothing against 'em, I just don't like the tiny safety on the Ruger boltguns, I preferred the older tang safety.
A buddy of mine has a SS Number One, a recently made rifle, and it shoots pretty good for a two-piece stocked rifle. Those can be touchy, because of bedding, his shoots fine. If you want a Number One, buy one. I doubt you'll be disappointed. It MIGHT not shoot as well as a properly bedded boltgun, but it'll probably be close.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Dave: I think that gun store guy is repeating tripe that circulated many years ago related to Ruger barrels. That has changed some time ago, as even back then, as Glenn mentioned, some of them shot very well indeed.

Case in point, my Ruger No.1 single shot chambered in .223 Rem had "accuracy problems" according to the fellow I purchased it from. After proper bedding of the forend, installing a Canjar single set trigger, getting rid of the cheapie scope he had aboard, and some load development (read: seating depth), it now shoots under .5 MOA regularly. It has accounted for literally thousands of ground squirrels in the years I've taken it afield with it's factory Ruger barrel. It has turned in groups at 100 yards in the .3's with my handloads.

I'd opine that your gun store guy is out of touch with the industry.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Critter, the "varmint" models like Rick's seem to perform better than the standard models. I've heard that this is largely because of the scope mounting system, which is much different from the "quarter rib" found on the standard rifles. I've had two Ruger Number One rifles - and truly wish I still had them.

One was a "varmint" model .25-06, which would calmly place 3 - 100 gr SPBT Sierras into a tinly cluster at 100 yards - often as small as a quarter inch group. Probably the most accurate factory rifle I've ever had. The barrel cleaned up about as quick and smooth as the best tubes I've ever had - I'd rank it right up there with my Krieger custom barrels for quality.

The other was a .300 Win mag with the quarter rib and the factory sights. I mounted a low power scope on it and was able to produce roughly 1 MOA 3-shot groups with some ammo. It was plenty good enough for deer, bear and elk to 300+ yards.

Sadly, I had to sell both of those rifles when the family hit some rough times a few years back. Haven't replaced them with another single shot yet - I think the best application for one is as a varmint rifle, but I don't have any problem using one for a general purpose big game rifle either.

Regards, Guy
Critter

Post by Critter »

I just looked at another Ruger #1 in .204 at another gun store. Price was a little under $800 which is not bad in today's world.

This time the salesman volunteered, that in his experience that the larger calibers like .458 and .375 shoot really well, but recently there has been difficulty with getting the smaller calibers to shoot. Wood on this particular rifle was pretty nice as was fit and finish. He recommended I purchase a bolt action instead.

With respect to the Ruger, to say the least I was sorely tempted, even looked at the Leupold FFP variable which appeared really elegant, but very expensive for a Leupold when compared with the last Leupold variable I purchased 20 or so years ago. The trigger pull(when compared with the 1# Single stage Jewell that I am used to in my custom bolt actions) seemed big and mushy but functional, unlike M700 factory triggers which I deem unusable out of the box.

I will continue to think about it, I just wish the same message didn't keep popping up. I'm not in a panic because I already have two M700s in .204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Dave, If you've got "the wants" for a No.1, bite the bullet, buy the 204, and figure on putting in a Kipplinger, Canjar, or Jewell trigger and be done with it. You're "Trigger Spoiled" with the fine aftermarket units you're currently using, and the Ruger factory trigger will never live up to the performance of the others, nor to a M700 trigger that can actually be worked on by the end user.

Since I installed the Canjar single set unit in my No.1 .223 above, it quickly became one of my steady used varmint rifles, and not a safe queen.

When I built my sweet little Ruger No.3 .17 Ackley Hornet below, I had Mike at Broad Creek Rifleworks in Delaware install one of the custom triggers he makes, and it releases with zero creep, overtravel, and breaks like the proverbial glass rod right at 4 ozs. That's one more option to consider. He makes these trigger assemblies himself on CNC equipment only for No.1 and No.3 Ruger single shot rifles. Below is a photo of my little .17AH with Mike's trigger installed.

For the record, the .17 Ackley Hornet is about the most perfectly sized round for ground squirrels inside of 350 yards I've ever used. Zero recoil, quiet, see your hits, and literally vaporizes Skippy when using .17 caliber 20 grain V-Max's loaded to 3850 fps. (with only 12.3 grains of powder!!) The little rifle is the same size as a Ruger 10-22, with 350 yard capability. A mega-fun combination! ;) Then there's the 204 Ruger for when you want to stretch your legs a bit...... :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

richnmib

Post by richnmib »

Rick in Oregon, Where does one get a .17 Ackley Hornet? Is it available as a standard off the shelf caliber or would I have to have a rifle rebarreled? I was thinking about adding a .22-250 to the arsenal but another .17 would be cool.
If this is heaven...How bad is heck??
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Rich: The .17 Ackley Hornet is a wildcat, so as such, you must form cases in specialized forming dies, then fireform in the new chamber. Both RCBS and Redding make the dies, but you must have a barrel so chambered so you can fireform. Once the cases are fireformed, you load and shoot as usual, but with much improved performance over the parent case.

It's a great caliber, and I believe only Cooper and Cascade Arms chamber their rifles for it at present. The .17 Mach IV was/is also a wildcat, based on the 221 Fire Ball case, and Remington just made it a factory caliber, calling the "new" round the 17 Fire Ball.

P.O. Ackley says in his books, that the 17 Ackley Hornet is the ideal case capacity and design for the 17 caliber, offering the best efficiency for the bore size. I've been amazed at the accuracy and range possible with the little round. It must be experienced to be fully appreciated.

Here's the standard 22 Hornet case, and a finished 17 Ackley Hornet ready for action:

Fireformed, neck turned, freshly annealed, and 20gr V- Max's coated with WS2 (my rifle is set up with a tight neck chamber):

Positive proof that the little girl DOES shoot (ten shots):

This wildcat is quickly becoming very popular, as it's quiet and cheap to shoot. Many consider it to be the next candidate for becoming a factory round.....we'll see. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

richnmib

Post by richnmib »

Thanks Rick. I have the .17 Remington Fireball already. I really enjoy my M1's, M1A, and AR's, but the more I read about these small calibers the more I would like to try them, but my Army salary won't let me have one of each.
If this is heaven...How bad is heck??
Critter

Post by Critter »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Dave, If you've got "the wants" for a No.1, bite the bullet, buy the 204, and figure on putting in a Kipplinger, Canjar, or Jewell trigger and be done with it....... :wink:
Well, I did just that. Needed Leupold higher rings to put one of my 3.2-17x44/58 SN-3 Lit Mil-dot 30mm tube on it.

Now the proof is in the pudding as to whether it will shoot or not. Going to have the riflesmith take a look at the trigger first. Maybe it needes a little stoning here and there.

:|
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Dave: Tell us more; walnut/blue, stainless/laminated? Varmint or No1-B configuration? Once it's back from the smith, let us know how she shoots. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Critter

Post by Critter »

As far as I can tell, this is it.

Model: 1-B
Caliber: .204 Ruger
Barrel Length: 26"
Stock: American Walnut
Rear Sight: None
Finish: Blue
Trigger: Bad :lol:
Last edited by Critter on Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Congratulations on the new toy, Dave!!. Those No.1-B's are sure sweet rifles. With some trigger work, bedding of the forearm, and the trigger replaced or reworked, you'll have a real keeper there, chambered in 204.

The barrel weight on the 1-B's will not heat up as quickly as their 1-A version, being longer and of larger diameter. I predict a long love affair with you and that baby. Let us know the initial range results once she's out of the shop.

(If you have not already, figure on bedding the forearm tenon, and floating the wood from the barrel and action. If you don't do it now, you'll wish you did later.....just my .02)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Critter

Post by Critter »

Well, I finally got rifle back from Smith with all hardware modifications complete to include the following:

1. New Trigger, Spring, and Hicks kit.

2. Trigger job reduced let off to a very fine 2.5 pounds.

3. Total gunsmith work cost to modify stock for Hicks and install and modify other hardware and purchase hardware $650.00 + $77.00 for rings.

4. Purchased 30mm rings for USO 3.2 - 14 x 44 scope.

5. Total investment in so far unfired rifle $878 + $650 + $77.00 or $1605.00

Quote from Gunsmith: "Putting that spring in was a real B**ch!" and "If that rifle doesn't shoot now, then it's the barrel!"

More to come.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Dave: Glad to hear the No.1 is back home with dad. Once you work up some handloads and range test it, be sure to let us know how she performed.

I had my No.1V (.223 Rem) out for four days last week in the field, and while I was at the bench with her, wondered how yours was doing. Once you've got the barrel broken in, you'll have to take her out to meet Skippy and his pals.

If UPS is on time, I'll have my blueprinted M700 w/new Pac-Nor SS Super Match 204 barrel and reamer back today, so tomorrow I'll be putting it all back together, break in the barrel over the weekend, and then take her out for Skippy next week for another four day affair at the ranch you shot at two years ago. There's nothing like the feeling of a fresh rifle on the bench on an early spring morning, and a target-rich environment to really perk a guy up. I hope yours is a shooter!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA