Looking for a single shot.....in .25-06

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
Earl Three Beavers
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Looking for a single shot.....in .25-06

Post by Earl Three Beavers »

Anyone have a Ruger #1 in .25-06 Rem? Do you like the accuracy? I plan to reload for the gun I get, as I have for a .25-06 Sendero.

Any other single shots in that caliber to recommend? I'd prefer a break open gun to a bolt action. Can't go the bucks for a Blaser, I want to keep my other guns, too. :wink:

I seem to remember a falling block classic gun recently made but don't remember the maker. Browning? Winchester? Thanks.
Lord, help me to be the man my dog thinks I am.
Guy M

Re: Looking for a single shot.....in .25-06

Post by Guy M »

I had a very nice Ruger Number One varminter in .25-06, that's the model with the heavier barrel and a different scope mounting system. The previous owner had also massaged the trigger a bit. It was one heck of a shooter, with no problem beating .5" at 100 yards with 100 grain Sierra SPBT Gameking bullets.

Unfortunately some tight finances hit a few years ago and that rifle, along with several others, was sold so that I could pay the bills. It was a real honey, and I was very, very impressed with how well it shot and handled. Would love to get another one someday, it seemed ideal as an open country deer, coyote rifle, and I had thoughts of taking it for pronghorn as well.

Regards, Guy
Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Post by Ahab »

Have you thought about the T/C Encore?
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

A few years back, my buddy's wife bought him a stainless Number One in .25/06. He doesn't shoot it much, but he should, it'll shoot pretty darned good. It favors the Hornady 75 grain VMax, and would do the trick right well on a coyote. It just plain works.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Earl Three Beavers

I did think about a TC in .25-06 a few years ago, Ahab, but guys on the quarterbore forum said the triggers weren't much good and needed replacement right off. Maybe that's changed :?:

The Ruger # 1 does sound nice, guys. It was a toss up between that and the Sendero when I bought the Rem a few years back. It may be time to add the Ruger to the collection, I'll check around.

Thanks for the replys!
Rafter CT

Post by Rafter CT »

T/C triggers really suck. But at http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php you can get spring kits to lighten up the pull and such. I did it to my 7mm-08 Encore and it made a world of difference. Good luck with your quarter bore single shot.
Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear. - Mark Twain
Earl Three Beavers

Took the plunge and bought a new Ruger Number 1-V on gunbroker.com. At $722. delivered, it was a pretty good price compared with others I saw. :)

It's a blued gun, walnut stock, heavy barrel. If it shoots well and I like the handling (pretty certain I will) I may well sell the Sendero. Nothing wrong with it except the extra two pounds to tote.

A few years ago I wouldn't buy a blued gun. I still prefer stainless steel in a carry pistol but more blued rifles have found me in the past 4-5 years.

Must be an age thing. :wink: