Question for barrel swappers

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
BSmith

Question for barrel swappers

Post by BSmith »

In researching how to do a Savage barrel swap, I've seen several people mention "remote firing" of the completed rifle. Do any of you do that? I've done it with an old Ithaca .22, tied it in a fork of a tree and used a string to pull the trigger. I don't have a big sled rest that can handle a centerfire rifle. The weight of the VLP .204 results in almost no recoil but when I get the .243* and .308* barrels, that will change.

Bottom line: is doing a careful job good enough?

*I know that Savage doesn't make a model 12 VLP in .243 and .308 but the barrels are available elsewhere.

Thanks!
Fire kills people. We need tougher match control laws!
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I am very carefull-double and tripple check everything. I test with a known mild pressure round and I hold the rifle but don't put my head on the stock, just kind of hip fire.
22shooter

Post by 22shooter »

The best safety items when chaning a barrel on a Savage rifle is the go and no-go gauges. If the bolt closes on a go gauge and doesn't close on a no-go gauge then you have the head spacing correct.

The Savage system with the barrel nut is a gret idea. It allows a lot of configuring. I have 4 savage actions and so far 6 barrels. the barrels are:
.223 Rem hunting
.223 Rem Varmit barrel
.204 Ruger Stainless Steel Fluted Varmit
.243 Win
.260 Rem
.308 Win

I intend to get a .338 Federal barrel.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I have a buddy with all the stuff, already paid for, so I let him do the swaps for me :D . He uses the go-no go gauges, so there's really little to chance. Hasn't messed anything up yet, anyway :lol: He's done a LOT of swapping for himself and his friends, and all of us have our fingers, toes and eyes, he must do a good enough job. I don't have any concerns when Steve's been at the rifle. I've seen him do it enough that I know how, but since he's got a nice shop, I'd rather drive over and let him tinker while we visit. He's got a nice range, too........
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
BSmith

Post by BSmith »

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to have to find a "Steve" up here somewhere. I can't wait for all the parts to get here.
Fire kills people. We need tougher match control laws!
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

BS,

The current Varmint Hunter Magazine has an article submitted by a member who describes his learning experience installing Savage barrels. Might be worth a look to ya.
22shooter

Post by 22shooter »

Go to http://www.savageshooters.com/ They have all the information that you will need to change a Savage barrel along with recommendations on the needed equipment.