Red deer Stag

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Red deer Stag

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Deer are not common around here, especially wild ones. There are a couple farms, and the wild populations have formed from farm escapees. These don't get much of a chance to breed up because anyone with a gun wants to shoot them :lol: and so do I :lol:
So I consider myself extremely lucky to have been approached by a local landowner who has a few ferals on their property.

My brother and I did a quick (gunless) scout last week and spotted a few at close range. Needless to say, we got pretty excited and were quick to organize our second visit.

We started our hunt yesterday, around 11:00, and spotted a stag within 10 minutes!

Maybe 300 yds away - no range finder (yet - b'day present pleeeease sweetheart :love: ). Carefully stalked over the next 10 minutes and got to a nice steady gunrest about 200 yds away. Unfortunately there were trees and grass in the way of a clear shot. So my brother held his position with the binos, while I gut crawled about 50yds and found a good spot, while the stag got comfortable under a tree. Clear view - except for the grass about 10yds in front of him - Bugga. I layed there for about 5 minutes watching him, while he layed under a tree chewing his cud. I was thinking "If he stood I'd have a good shot".
Then I saw a hind cross half way between us, then another, then a big stag, ended up being a group of 9!
I pretty much wrote off my chances of a shot when they all stared at me - Busted.
But as I began my retreat, my brother raised my attention :hail: and pointed to where the stag had been laying. He was now standing, the others departed, and he didn't seem to have seen me :D
Quick as my beating heart let me, I chambered a round and sent it his way. ??? nothing. I'm thinking it splattered on a twig before it reached him. But the silly bugger didn't bolt, and I didn't hesitate to cycle my bolt.

He tensed as the 32Nos found it's mark, and didn't take one more step. Dead before he even heard the report of the mighty 204!

My first deer - what a buzz! And another visit soon to get that 2nd stag for my brother hopefully.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: Red deer Stag

Post by Joe O »

Nice tale,and pics.Your decision to use a 204 for that hunt,and where was bullet placement?Curious minds want to know.
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Joe O wrote:Your decision to use a 204 for that hunt,and where was bullet placement?
204 is the only rifle I have.
Bullet went in just below right ear, and stopped just pass halfway through - between the eyes.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Nice shot.Right place.
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Thanks. I realise most deer hunters prefer larger calibres and go for the lung shot to keep the trophy, but I'm not interested in the mount and I know the ammo I was using could easily group well under Minute Of Deer Head.
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

Good story, Dan. And nice stag! Shot placement is everything. Ya did right. :wtg:
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Folks pay a lot of money to hunt an incredible animal like that. Congratulations on a fine animal!!!!

I would opt for the females as much as possible. Do you secure the meat?
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Glen wrote:Folks pay a lot of money to hunt an incredible animal like that. Congratulations on a fine animal!!!!

I would opt for the females as much as possible. Do you secure the meat?
Yep - we are very lucky boys.
We didn't leave much at all for the scavengers.
The lady who owns the property made sure we weren't going to just shoot him and leave him laying there.
I wasn't expecting a great flavour, because of his age, and it's the start of the rut. But we tried a bit that night and loved it.
The plan was to take any stags first so as to reduce damage around her property, but we'll be going back for a few hinds too :D
I've also spoken to a local deer farmer about utilising other parts of the animal - minimal waste!
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Cool deal!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

Wow!! I know guys that have been hunting for years that haven't gotten a buck with a rack like that. Well done!
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Thanks Toki
It's pretty hard sitting around waiting til my brother gets home from work in a few days - knowing the other stag is still there.
But this one's his, and it wouldn't be as much fun without him. He did a great job spotting for me - I hope I can reciprocate. (and I hope his rack isn't as big :lol: )
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

Sth Oz Dan wrote:Thanks Toki
It's pretty hard sitting around waiting til my brother gets home from work in a few days - knowing the other stag is still there.
But this one's his, and it wouldn't be as much fun without him. He did a great job spotting for me - I hope I can reciprocate. (and I hope his rack isn't as big :lol: )
lol - Spoken like a true brother.
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Tokimini wrote:Spoken like a true brother.
I do love him Deer-ly :lol: -Sorry, couldn't resist
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

My brother bagged the other stag a few days ago. Took my father inlaw along too. The initial stalk failed when the mob got spooked, so dad inlaw (a seasoned hunter and lateral thinker) suggested an ambush scenario. So my bro quietly went one way and got cozy in a hidden spot, while we went circled around the other side and gently ushered them into the trap he he.

Luckily the deer was smaller than the one I took down, so I still have bragging rights :lol:

The hanging, butchering, and bagging went very quick with my father inlaw's help, and we were back at his place for lunch, a cuppa, and a look through the photos (none of which I can post right now as I'm out fishing and will be for another week - sorry).

We went to another property two days prior to look for bunnies and foxes. The owner farms deer, and, two months ago, mentioned there'd been a big wild stag seen in the area. So we made a few jokes to each other about bagging a deer this day. Then when we rocked up, noticed some broken branches on the ground, and some very high rub marks up in the trees :chin: . Of course this had us super excited, so we gave up on the bunnies and foxes and proceeded to quietly stalk around, passing rubs and busted branches everywhere.
I spotted him after half an hour, bedded down and waving a MASSIVE rack around. Would've been at least 14 points. It was my brother's turn, so he stalked in close, could've taken a body shot but tried to get a better angle for a head shot and the bugger run off. Caught up with him a while later - he was being chased by some horses that live in the paddock, but never got another close look.

We reported this to the property owner and suggested we come back in a few days and try again.
Unfortunately he'd been approached by another local who was happy to part with plenty of cash for the opportunity to take him :mad:

Haven't heard if the guy's been out there yet, but money well spent I'm sure. He was a very impressive beast.
bazz
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka

Post by bazz »

congratulations on your first deer and what a gooden glad to here you recovered the meat and great shot cheers bazz