Off-road wheels

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
RoadKill
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem. 700VLS and 23" G2 barrel on older Contender

Off-road wheels

Post by RoadKill »

I’m contemplating committing the next three years gun toy money to some wheels to get me across the fields and thru the bush to engage assorted paper and misting targets and generally help draw what’s left of me away from the recliner. I’ve been looking at what ‘they’ calling mid-size UTV’s (side by side utility four wheelers) similar to the Bobcat 3400, Husqvarna HUV4414GX, Honda Big Red, or Kubota RTV500 so far. High speed airborne puddle jumping ability is not required. I do want to be able to crawl about the fairly steep red clay tree dotted gulley and hills separating the open fields in this area of northern piedmont NC with a passenger and a fair load of stuff in the box and/or in tow. I was hoping to not have to go over 9 or 10K but that puts me right back on the recliner if I insist on any of the really good stuff.

What are you guys riding around and the pros and cons for your off-road utility wheels? :chin:
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: Off-road wheels

Post by RAMOS »

Went from a 4-wheeler to a Kaw. Mule 3010. The Mule really sucked, the suspension was so limited you were always "stuck" because the drive wheels would come off the ground! Went to a JD Gator 620 XUVi. After 200+ hours, I'm very happy with it. Suspension is excellent, easy starting w/ EFI and great capacity. The only drawback for us is that a bench seat would haul three people vs. the two bucket seats in the Gator. Whatever you choose, I would insist on fuel injection or a good used diesel. Of, course, you could pick up a nice, used Toyota 4X4 for the same money and have a cab with air and heat!

On edit: Correction.
Varmitzapper
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Americian

Post by Varmitzapper »

Or an older Jeep Wrangler
My son just sold a cherry 95 for $2800.00 to a 68 yr old neighbor.
He's having a ball with it.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

You would find the machine you want in a Polaris,gas or electric(my choice).Will do 25mph and max endurance on economy amps is 2 hours.IRW and 4wd,around 10k.Gas cheaper.Check around for something used.I use a Club car conversion (electric)solid rear axle,but quite,and less than 3k in a used one.
RoadKill

Post by RoadKill »

Thank you folks. I haven’t forgotten my experience with 70’s vintage rice grinders so it came down to Bobcat, Polaris, or good ole John Deere with their dealer located nearby. A gas powered Gator XUV625i is ordered with the battery powered Polaris losing as a close 2nd. There goes my 6mm AI and other projects for a while but at least the paid for 204’s and all the rest will be out riding in style. Now if Caldwell will ever get past their “bad parts issues” and ship my BR Pivot, this could make for a very good summer. :)
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Good choice.I haven't checked out the John Deere,although they are only six miles away.Once I get my computer accepting my camera chip,I'll have pics of a simple ,portable shootin bench that goes on the right seat.
RoadKill

Post by RoadKill »

Good luck with the camera chip, I would like to see your seat mount shooting bench. “Cheap” is not the only reason I didn’t get a windshield (yet) with my Gator. The BR Pivot I blame on RIO pics of their recent cold and wet rat shoot involving fire from a fire truck and his bench doing duty from the back of a short bed pickup, something I had wondered about. It should work from the back of my Dodge as well though I’ll be surprised if there’s room for setup in the Gator’s 45” x 52” box. I’ll see how much raised platform I need mounted on the box once everybody gets here. I’ll make do with a Bulls Bag on the hard top and shooting sticks until I get something ciphered out for the 360 deg. fire Gator bed gun turret. :chin: