Kickin the hog season off right!

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
jdefranc938
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Varminter .204 Ruger

Kickin the hog season off right!

Post by jdefranc938 »

I just happened to look out of my window and into the fields surrounding my house and I saw 2 hogs wandering around. Both were on the lower side of the creek, so from where I would be shooting I had to wait until a decent shot presented itself due to the angle. (These things are smarter than we give em credit for!) So I grabbed the Cooper, one of the 32 SBK's, and a couple of sand bags. Ranged it out at 242 yards. Not WAYY out there but I'll take it for the first of the season! :D
Cooper M21 Varminter 204 Ruger with Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm LR VHR
Custom Remington 700 6.5 x 47L with Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 M1 TMR
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Kickin the hog season off right!

Post by Rick in Oregon »

jd: It's a very good day indeed, when a guy can whack a varmint with his 204 from the house! :eek: We should all be so fortunate.

That really is the way to start the season, especially with a nice rifle. Nice shot bud, way to go. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Nice shooting .
I guess spring is just around the corner.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

We been seeing them here at random. Still a little cold & windy for them to be out en masse. Nice shot on that hog too!! :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Very nice start to the year indeed. Looks like you made a great shot as well. It will inspire all of us to get everything loaded up for the spring and summer outings. :assault:
Please, no Sidewinder today!
jdefranc938

Post by jdefranc938 »

Just happened to be scopin out the farm and came across this guy at 422 yards away. Shot him with the Cooper 204 using the 32 SBK. Only shot that was presented was broadside (just as you see it in the first pic). This makes hog number 2 for me so far this season, these sunny days are GREAT! When I was walking to this hog I spooked another hog about 20 yards away from me... of course no gun in hand :wall:

He never moved an inch

A view back of my farm from site of kill. Shot was made fom the second building from the left. 422 yards

Here's a shot of a couple of geese I rattled up. Just starting to take off from the creek bed.

And here they come circling back around

Man, I love this stuff!
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Very nice!!!!!!!!!! Great shot. I'm jealous of the hogs you have to shoot. We dont have as many here anymore---combination of too many coyotes and too many hog hunters. Most of them are wiped out except for the urban areas where we cant hunt. :wall: Makes me mad. I hope to travel to my sisters place in PA to hog hunt as they have access to many hog loaded farms. :lol:
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
jdefranc938

Post by jdefranc938 »

This makes hog #4 for me! I decided to get the binoculars out and just check out some of teh hotspots on my farm before I had to leave for work. I found this guy at 442 yards from my house. Me and my friend had seen him just a couple days ago and was gathing leaves for its den. Everytime it looked at us, it had a HUGE mouthful of leaves (couldn't even see the body or head). So today I decided to grab the .222 Rem and a couple of the 40 Nosler BT and head over to the farm. I set up in the hay barn iside of a wagon and slowly slid the rear door open. I was completely concealed by the darkness inside the barn. Deployed the bipod, ranged it out to 297 yards, referred to my drop chart which said I would need 11.25 inches of compensation, and then let 1 round fly. I saw a puff of dust and the hog did an air born barrel roll to the right and landed half in/out of his hole. Here are the pics! Enjoy guys!

This is how I found him!

Here he is pulled out of the hole

And here is a pic back of the shooting area. I was in teh big white barn in the middle of the picture. In the middle of that barn is a black door, that's where I was laying 8)
tt35
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator, Cooper M21, WOA AR, DPMS AR, custom AR

Post by tt35 »

WTG, Jeff! Beautiful country and long range varmint hunting in one place! The only thing better is using a Cooper .204 to do it! Congrats.

Tim
No Off Season
Predator and Varmint Gear and Hunts
Tim Titus
No Off Season
www.no-off-season.com
"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."

Sure God's a hunter, he clothed Adam and Eve with skins and told Peter to "kill and eat", didn't He?