32gr Remington Accutip

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Swift One
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPSS

32gr Remington Accutip

Post by Swift One »

First time poster and a brand spanking new to the world of 204 shooting. I just picked up a remy 700 sps stainless and put a Nikon Pro Staff 4-12 x 40 on top of it. I have tried three different factory loads in it. 40gr Vmax, 32gr Vmax, and 32gr Remington accutips. The 40s didnt do too well. The 32s shined with the accutips doing a touch better at the 100yd line. I tried both of the 32s at 350yds and they both did almost the same. So, I think I'm liking the accutips. Haved any of u guys done any hunting with these pills? looking for results on G-Hogs and coyotes. BTW, I LOVE the 204 Ruger!! I thinkng my 223 is going to be collecting dust.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Re: 32gr Remington Accutip

Post by Silverfox »

Swift One--I can't help you on the 32 gr. Accutips for coyotes or groundhogs because I have never shot those factory rounds out of my .204 Rugers. Did you find any of the 40 gr. Accutip cartridges? They may be worth a try. Also, try to find some factory ammo with 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKing bullets in them. They will most likely stabilize in your Rem 700 SPS, where the 40 gr. bullets may not stabilize.

Anyway, congratulations on getting into shooting the .204 Ruger. You will enjoy this caliber.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Swift One
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPSS

Post by Swift One »

Is this the same Silver Fox from Predator masters? If so, I followed your posts on you and your 204 when you first got it. Those posts were what got me interested in the 204. Ya, I have access to some 40gr Accutips. Have you used them? If so, how did you like them? I have not seen any factory ammo in my area that uses Blitzking bullets. Not to say that I wont reload using them though, lol. Currently dont have anything for reloading 204, but will soon change that.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Swift One-- the only factory 39gr BK loads I've seen were at Cabelas. They are in orange HSM boxes of 50.

http://store.thehuntingshack.com/hsm204 ... zking.aspx
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

I have tried both the 32 & 40 gr accutips. The 32's were like lasers. The 40 gr was horrible. Between 1 and 2" at 100 yds.
Savage Vaporizer
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

My Remington did not like 40's at all. She did shoot anything from 32 to 39 grain like a laser! Gary
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Swift One--Yes, I am the Silverfox over at the Predator Masters Board too. It makes me glad to hear that I kind of mentored you into the world of the .204 Ruger. It is a fantastic caliber, IMHO. As a matter of fact, I now have three .204 Ruger rifles.

I have never shot any of the 40 gr. Accutip bullets so I can't give you any information about how they shoot. I think if I were you, I'd try to stay with the 39 gr. Sierras or 35 gr. Bergers. The 40 gr. Nosler BTs have shot pretty good in my old Savage 12VLP too, but I prefer the 39 gr. Sierras.

That link Glen gave you for the HSM 39 gr. Sierras lists them for $32.77 for 50 and that figures out to only $13.11 per 20. That's a pretty good price if they will shoot decent for you.

I hope you can get into the reloading game. I think you'll probably be able to find a very accurate load for the 39 gr. Sierras if the HSM ammo doesn't do well for you. Good luck in your quest!!!
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

FWIW: Federal Premium loads 39 gr. Sierras and 32 gr. Noslers in their "V-Shock line"; they are fairly common around here and comparable in price to other brands, maybe less than Rem. Accutips. Midway has them, and also now sells Hunting Shack .204s tipped with 40 grain Berger HPs.
I bought several boxes of 40 gr. factory Rem. and Hornady V-Max. ammo when I bought my first .204, a Remington. Although the Hornadys were more accurate, the level of penetration (less splash) of the Accutips on game, mostly groundhogs were preferable to me. I love 50 gr. Accutips in my .221 FB on 'hogs; they turn insides to jello with no external drama.
As far as using any polymer-tipped 32 grain bullet on coyotes, most here would advise against it.