Fun with Helicopters

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Fun with Helicopters

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Helicopters and large caliber select-fire weapons can be about the most fun you can have with a rifle, no doubt. One of my sons is a LE Rep for Glock, and recently attended the NW Snipers Challange here. He's a Gulf War I Vet, tactical and rabid vermin shooter (sandbox and here), and sent me this pic of him lifting off for a target pass as portside gunner.

Can you imagine having this much fun (as indicated by the grin) and actually getting paid to do it? :eek:

(He recently finished up his custom tactical 6.5-08 Ackley, and rang steel first shot, cold bore at 860 yds in a 15 - 20 mph full value crosswind yesterday just east of the house. Me proud.....the boy can shoot!)
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: Fun with Helocopters

Post by RAMOS »

No question you have good reason to be proud. Mine are 6 & 7 years old, hope I manage to raise them right as well.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Rick: Very cool! It's also worth mentioning that your son didn't end up here by accident. A very good teacher must have guided him along the way. :wink:
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

""cold bore at 860 yds in a 15 - 20 mph full value crosswind yesterday just east of the house. Me proud.....the boy can shoot!!""
Way to congrands to your boy.............must have your eyes and feel for the trigger!!! This shot was taken out of chooper?? If so he did very well dealing with rotor wash.
Nice pic.........thanks for sharing it with us.
Later
Ray P :lol:
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Gotta love it.

BTW, Rich.I sent you a PM
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ray P wrote:cold bore at 860 yds in a 15 - 20 mph full value crosswind yesterday just east of the house. This shot was taken out of chooper??
Ray: No, the pic was taken at the Snipers Challenge, and the shot mentioned was taken here on the high desert. That would have been one heck of a shot out of a chopper! :eek:

Some of you older forum members may remember Dave from his outstanding ghillie suits he makes and were shown here a while back (well, he used to when he had time). Some of them got put to very good use 'over there'. ;)

Thanks for the positive comments guys, I'll pass them along. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Post by 204cat »

i would be worried about being recoiled out the other side of the helocopter.... boom .... aaaawwww !
Rick in Oregon

Re: Fun with Helicopters

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Not to worry.....both port and starboad gunners wear extendable harnesses. Although you wouldn't want to light up a shoulder-fired .50BMG aboard without one! You may become a projectile yourself out the opposite door....... :eek:

Some of you may remember Dave's ghillies......this one was not made up for the area we were shooting, but it gives a good idea of what the lad comes up with:

They all make me proud. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Yup, I remember those ghillie suits. Nice pics and explanation Rick. Definitely something to be proud of along with "bragging rights" too.
Savage Vaporizer
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

Looks like fun.

Give him my best for what he did over there.
Our service members make it all possible to be safe at home, no doubt. Never can thank them ( and you ex-Military guys too) Enough.

GW#1? you are older than I thought Rick....lol

Allen
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

hemiallen wrote:GW#1? you are older than I thought Rick....lol Allen
Allen....yep, old indeed. The years have not been kind either. Between 'Nam, a plane crash, beaucoup bad street bike wrecks, more dirt bike crashes in the desert, this old body is purty shot-up but still tickin'! Dinosaurs were brand new when I was a kid....... But I can still shoot. ;)

Sorry for the ignorance, but what is "GW#1"?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

hemiallen

Post by hemiallen »

Sorry for the abbreviation

I was attempting Gulf War#1...=GW#1

Allen
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Allen.....thanks for considering me still a pup, but considering all the grey you see in the pic below, know well that I earned all that grey! "My war" was a long time before Gulf War #1, which two of my sons served in, but still in another "s__t hole" of the world. Interesting how wars always seem to happen in those places, eh? :chin:

I much prefer sitting on my bench looking over a rodent-infested field, or crouching in a coyote blind any day. We are blessed to be able to pursue such pasttimes here in the US of A. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

hemiallen

Post by hemiallen »

Looks like a blast Rick, and again, thank you and your 2 sons for your service.

I need to get those pictures of the shooting bench you sent me and build one, being a tech with shop tools I want to make my own ( probably 3) vs spending the cash, especially if you don't get a cut on them anymore.

I made a 3 legged top using 1 1/2" pipe on a shaped 4'x4' 1 1/8" plywood top, under the tractor lean alongside the shop, built a angled trap with , ahemmm, bulletproof steel at the back ( think Hui trap floor panels) and can get 150 yds on my property, the pipe bench is pretty stable but not nearly as portable as your collapsing design.

My FIL almost has the benchrest modified cases for the Rem 700 VS 204 I "gave" him to ring out for me, in anticipation of a spring nor cal squirrel shoot, dammed MDS ( very like Leukemia) is hammering him every 3 or so months. At 75 he is thankful for what he has, but too tight to buy a cooper , no time for a custom, and I gave him the VS to MAKE him reload and have fun again. Spoiled him with a Jewell.....lol, 8 oz is light enough for him until he gets range time.

Sorry for the hijack, I usually don't post but jump on posts.

Thanks Rick
Allen
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Rick, I always figured you were quite a bit younger than me, and still may be :eek: , until I saw the picture of your son getting ready to have all that fun...

Considering the damage you've done to yourself over the years, sitting on a bench and shooting little targets may be the best therapy... :mrgreen: ...Have you ever been diagnosed with being accident prone?? :lol:

I'm just kidding...I'm pretty beat up myself, especially on the inside...Too many years chasing little crack dealers and bad guys that carry big guns, that fortunately didn't know how to shoot straight...
AR
Factory/Factory