do possums eat chickens ?

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Post by 204cat »

bought a cage type trap this summer to see if i could catch chubbie with after giving up on trying to get chubbie with the 204. set bait in it. in the morning the bait was gone. for the last four months or so the routine was place bait in the trap in the barn and view the missing bait from the trap. every other day or so i would refill the trap with bread covered in gravy. friday there was this possum in the trap. chubbie ?
the front feet match the prints found on the ground near the missing chickens from what i remember and the pictures. but i can not imagine this possum running fast enough to catch a chicken ? i was thinking that a yote would be more likely. so ? so do possums catch and eat chickens ?

the second question is from watching csi and blowback anime. how far does the muzzle have to be from the possum or target to prevent blowback blood from getting in the barrel ?
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Re: do possums eat chickens ?

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Bird shot or snake shot in a 38 special work for me no ricochet. Dispatches animals in cages humainly.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

THEY PROBABLY CATCH THE CHICKENS ROOSTING OR HERD THEM IN A CORNER.BESY WAY TO DISPACH A SKUNK IN THE TRAP IS IMERSE THE ENTIRE TRAP IN A POND OR LARGE TRASH CAN FILLED WITH WATER,OTHERWISE,FOR OTHER ANIMALS,A PISTOL SHOT SHELL,THROUGH A WIRE CAGE,WORKS BEST.tWO,OR THREE FEET, SHOULD WORK WELL.
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Post by 204cat »

ok thank you. i was thinking about the lake or pond idea.