.204 muzzle jump

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
ifldned
.204 Ruger Guns: none

.204 muzzle jump

Post by ifldned »

I'm a newbie to long range squirrel shooting. I'm most interested in the .204 caliber. Do I need a rifle with a heavy barrel and a muzzle brake to see the impact on the target at 250-300 yards out ? And what is the maximum magnification scope that i can use and still see the hit ? I would like to shoot the 32 grain bullet. I'm reading posts on this sight of 500 yard hits with a 32 grain bullet. I'm amazed.
thanks, ifldned
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: .204 muzzle jump

Post by futuretrades »

IMHO, 500 yards is a little far for the 32 gr. pill, but I know it can be done, as I have ranged hits at 500 yds with the 32's. At some of these longer ranges, I prefer and use the 39 gr. SBK's. And they will buck the wind a lot better. As for a scope, my 204 Howa with a bull barrel, sports a Leupold 6-18x40 AO. But most of my shooting is done at 12 power or sometimes even 14 power, if the heat waves are not too bad. In most cases I see my hits very graphically, even beyond 400 yds.

You will probably hear from other members that see their hits even with a sporter barrel. My 223 has a sport barrel on it, and I see a lot of my hits with it also.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

A 39 will do everything a 32 wiil except get out the muzzle faster. So, if your rig will shoot the 39SBK's I would choose them. Whether or not to get a big heavy barrel, lamanate stock and so on... depends on you. If it's a bench rig then the I would prefer the heavier versions but if its a walk around, I would prefer the lighter versions.

Jim
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

ifldned--The rifles I use most often for prairie dog hunting all have heavy barrels and I walk around prairie dog towns and shoot from the prone position using a bipod when I shoot. While many people say the heavy barreled rifles are just too much of a load for walk-around hunting, I have never found them to be that much of a burden. I use heavy barreled rifles for coyote hunting too and do a lot of walking during those hunts too. I like the heavy barreled rifles because they just seem easier to hold steady than the sporter barreled rifles and the recoil doesn't make them bounce around like it would a lighter weight rifle. I think the heavier barrel allows you to shoot longer strings than you could with a pencil-barreled rifle without losing accuracy. Now, if I was doing a lot of off-hand shooting, you can bet I'd have a sporter barreled rifle.

I have 7 varmint rifles that I use frequently. One of them has a Sightron II 6.5-20x50mm side focus model, another has a Nikon Monarch 6-24x50mm side focus scope, another has a Burris 6-24 Signature scope, three of them have Leupold VX-3s or VX-IIIs 6.5-20x40mm long range side focus scopes. Only one of those rifles has lower powered scope and that is a 6-18x power model only because I can't afford to buy a new scope. That rifle is my Tikka Master Sporter in .22-250. I do use it on prairie dogs, but the scope is a Burris Fulfield model and the crosshairs are fairly thick. It works OK for prairie dogs and coyotes, but for shooting targets the crossharis block out the center of the target.

The temperatures during prairie dog season can get extremely hot and certainly there is some mirage at times, but I seldom turn my scopes off the absolute top magnification number. Last Sunday, it was around 75 to 80 degrees where I was shooing prairie dogs and I had my Nikon Monarch 6-24x50mm side focus scope cranked up to 24x on all the shots except the ones that were under 40 yards. On those shots the scope is out of focus a bit at 24x so I had to crank it down to about 16x and use the side focus to get a clear view of the victims.

As for seeing my hits, I have no problem seeing the hits even when my scopes are cranked up to top magnification levels of from 20 to 24x and shots are in the 300+ range. I don't know that you would need a muzzle brake on a heavy barreled .204 Ruger rifle to see your hits, but you might on a sporter weight barreled rifle.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Silverfox,...Out of courisoty, how does your Sightron and Burris Signature scopes compare to the Nikon Monarch, especially when cranked all the way up? I like my Monarch (just like yours except I have a dot in the reticle) but it gets a little hazy from about 19x and up. My Zeiss, Swarovski's and Leupold VX3 don't have that issue...Thx

ifldned,...I forgot to mention about the muzzle break. I have a CZ527 American and I don't have any problems at all seeing hits through the scope. One rifle I've handled and it's a varmint version but it's not overly bulky & heavy (like some) is a CZ527 varmint. As far as the CZ brand they have their quirks, but they're a pretty good rig for the value. Of course there are others too (Remington, Savage, Tikka, Sako, Cooper, Kimber...just to name a few).

HTH,
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Jim White--The Burris Signature scope I have is a refurbished model I bought I'm guessing maybe 8 years ago. It isn't as clear a scope as the Sightron and Monarch and I think the objective lens might be around the 40mm to 44mm range. It does have the Twilight/Daylight feature and my son kind of likes that. I haven't shot any shots using that scope for a couple years now. I do not like the fact that I have to reach out to the objective lens and adjust the AO--I have short arms, so it is a pain in the neck when you have to adjust it.

I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons of the Monarch and Sightron, but I think they are pretty comparable. I haven't noticed that the Monarch is hazy up in the upper magnification area. I don't have any experience with Zeiss or Swarovski scopes, but I sure do like my Leupolds. However, I wish they were all had 50mm objectives instead of 40mm. I really like the 50mm on the Sightron and Monarch.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Thanks.

I noticed that you mentioned it:

"On those shots the scope is out of focus a bit at 24x so I had to crank it down to about 16x and use the side focus to get a clear view of the victims."

so I was just curious. My Nikon and others like it I have looked thru get just a tad hazy/fuzzy/blurr/foggy (or what ever one wants to call it) up on the upper end of magnification. It's still very usable but just not quite as sharp on the lower end.

As far as SF vs. AO, I see what you mean. There use to be a good article over on the 6mmBR website that describes how they are made and the (+) and (-) of each.

Jim
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I would not put a muzzle brake on a 204. My brother put one on his and it is terrible to be next to him when it goes off, as I am usually spotting for him. I have to put the ear muffs on, when I normally just have foam ear plugs on for the smaller calibers. I can feel the forces air on me and would kick up dust if close to the ground. He put it on to see the hits better but he said that he cannot really tell the difference. He is going to have his brake removed from it. They work better on the larger calibers but not so much on the smaller ones.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
ifldned
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by ifldned »

thank you all for your insight and experience. You have been a great help to me.
ifldned
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

What Muzzle Jump? 32 G kills at 500 yrds would take allot of skill or luck. I tested 40 grainers today at 400 with ten MPH cross wind. Bullet drop at 400 was around 14 inches and wind drift was about the same. This was a 40 hornady vmax. I dont have a chrono but load data sujest 3750 fps.On a coyote yes 500 yrd kill is very possible with proper compensation a prairie dog would be a definate challenge! I am gonna keep practicing though!
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

I shoot three different 204r rifles,all diferent actions and weight.I wouldn't put a muzzle brake on them,and have seen hits at 300yds on occasion with the lightest of my guns,(61/2lbs).My heavy gun(LRPV)weighs 13lbs,and I can see most hits.Depends on the rest,and how it rides the bags.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

My .204 AR sports a Sightron 4-16x and I've never had a problem watching my hits...fortunately, it likes the heavier bullets and is accurate quite a ways out...

I have a couple of other rifles with higher power scopes and find that I have to crank them down to about 18x to get rid of the mirage on warmer days...One is a Burris 8-32x Black Diamond and it's better than the others that are less expensive scopes..
AR
Factory/Factory
Valar

Post by Valar »

Turtle , I have went to a 12 x max Nikon. I was coyote hunting with a rem 700 22-250 and Leupold 6.5x20x50mm awsome optic, but way to much to get on target of running or called coyote. Seldom used it above 12 x unless taking a 6 to 700 yrd. Wing and prayer shot. So far I love the 4x12 Mil Dot Nikon .
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

My higher power scopes are usually reserved for PDs and paper.... My coyote rigs have much lower power optics... EO-Tech, 2.8-10x and 3-12x,,,

AR
Factory/Factory
Valar

Post by Valar »

Nice, yes the 6.5 x 20 would be nice on p dogs, I have too work a few more years when I retire then will be able to Prarie dog hunt. I see you are in central MO, My Mom and sister live in Cabool, and Mansfield.