Skippy Flies AGAIN in 2010! Part II (Pics)

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Skippy Flies AGAIN in 2010! Part II (Pics)

Post by Rick in Oregon »

One of Captqc's new toys was his sweet new Cooper Phoenix in 204 with a Lupy 6.5-20X LR M1 with VHR. He couldn't clean it fast enough after sight-in to get at Skippy, as the field was literally ALIVE with rats from "in your face" range (.22 pistol fodder) to as far as you cared to shoot.

Here's a closeup of the new rat-laser during cleaning:

Yours truly with my Cooper working over the rats from my bench. This was a truly good day in a target-rich environment:

Field proof that "yes", squirrels do indeed fly, but the in-flight structural integrity seems to always be compromised when a Nosler 40 grainer is involved in the flight: :lol:

We always have our usual .45 drills on these shoots with Garth's Dueling Tree. Gary had his new Kimber .45 with him this trip:

It works!

After a few hundred rounds of .45 ACP down range, the "fat lady" has sung, so time for the celebratory Havana and clean the rifles.

When we get into the field next, the alfalfa will be nice and green, Skippy will again learn that squirrels can fly with the help of a good shootin' 204. Now it's time to get all the brass out of the tumbler and start the reloading process all over again. It's always more fun to unload the brass than it is to fill it. At least to me. ;) Hope you enjoyed the trip. Till next time....
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: Skippy Flies AGAIN in 2010! Part II (Pics)

Post by Captqc »

:eek: Rick, I will neither confirm nor deny that those were real cubans! :lol: (but we know, don't we :wink: ) Gary
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I'm sure you guys know that Cuban cigars are unlegal. I hope Skippy doesn't turn you in to the BATF.

Sure looks like a good start to the season. I've been out twice for ground squirrels but no prairie dogs yet. Sure makes my trigger finger itchy.

Great pix!
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Rick thanks for the story and pics . I think Skippy needs more lessons in flight control maybe a smoke stick or two will help them fly better :lol:
Those are some nice set ups you have.
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

How do the noslers perform i havent heard of many people shooting them. Great pictures , great fun , i am jeolous and i just went. Those Coopers are sweet looking rifles, do they shoot as good as they look?
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Majcl5, the Cooper shoots better than she looks! I thought my Remington was a hot set-up until I got the Cooper but on this trip the Remington never made it out of the rifle case. My first ten shots were kills with the new Cooper and when Dan (Rat Force One) tried it out his comment was "This rifle is amazing!". I can't wait for the next trip! Gary
p.s. the Cooper shot 32's and 40's like a dream.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

majcl5 wrote:How do the noslers perform i havent heard of many people shooting them. Great pictures , great fun , i am jeolous and i just went. Those Coopers are sweet looking rifles, do they shoot as good as they look?
Mark: On the Nosler 40gr question:

As noted on Part I of this post, the flyer was my blunder, not the fault of the rifle or load. Rifle was SPOD, my custom M700 11 twist rig. The terminal effect on the squirrels was, well.......about as spectacular as you'd ever want, plenty of air time, very accurate and explosive past 400 yards.

As my Cooper is not a 204, but in fact a 223, this should answer your second question:

I shoot rats much more than I shoot paper, and my targets show that fact. I'd never make a BR shooter, but hey, I'd rather launch a rat any day than poke holes in paper! :lol: So, "yes", the Nosler 204" BT shoots better than I can, and "yes", Cooper's shoot as good as they look.......just ask Captqc. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

I want a cooper bad!! I have a good load but i am one of those guys that always wonders what if that powder shoots better or what about that bullet. Its a reloading addiction i need help!!
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

majcl5 wrote:Its a reloading addiction i need help!!
You're not the only one.......ain't life grand? :D So many choices, so little time........ :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

You guys are having way too much fun

I just want some decent weather to get out in the fields and do some killin of my own. I have way to many reloads just sitting around wantin to get warmed up a bit. All of my 204 brass is loaded. Need to shoot some so I can reload again. and thats a lot of loaded rounds, as I have close to 2000 204 brass! :eek: Temps are warming up some, but the wind, she is a blowin! :huh:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

Rick,

Great write up and really enjoy the Skippy "acrobat" pictures. Skippy and friends, brought to you in parts sponsored by the .204.

Now I'm getting excited about our trip to Neb. to shoot some prairie dogs.

Ahh! the smell of burnt gun powder in the air! Isn't it Great?
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.