Springtime Fun w/Skippy & the 204 (Pics)

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Springtime Fun w/Skippy & the 204 (Pics)

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Another rodent adventure has been had, and once again, the Eastern Oregon Raptor Feeding Society has dutifully done our job. This shoot yielded a reasonable estimate of just over 1,000 rats dispatched to The Great Alfalfa Patch in the Sky using 17HMR, 223, and of course our beloved 204's. Because I shot three rifles on this trip on three different varmint patches, I'll post multiple parts so as not to make this a photo download nightmare.

This was the first ranch we shot Saturday. I used my Ruger No.1 Varmint in .223 Rem and went through 100 rounds in no time on this very large field. As you can see in the distance, the place was loaded with mounds and had a very active rat population. The juveniles are now out, so the ones inside of 50 yds made great fodder for our 22LR pistols and ones farther out for our 17HMR's.

Here's a better look....we could see rats all the way out to 800 yards on the other side of the irrigation pivot. I love a target-rich environment!:

No.1 overlooking Ratutopia. I wish Barnes would bring back their "Blue Meanies" (VLC coated bullets) in 204. They sure allow more shots in between cleanings:

The "Blue Meanies" up close:

My 17HMR CZ 452 Varmint got a real workout on this trip. Check the damage from 88 yards from the 17gr V-Max on an adult rat:

On the bags doin' her thing with Skippy:

This juvenile rat is just starting his launch from the HMR from about 65 yards (shot w/200mm tele lens):

We moved to our regular ranch on the second day and stayed at the "Rat Hilton", the bunkhouse the rancher lets us use while we're shooting his pesky alfalfa munchers.

My overly-gear laden shooting setup the second day. "Bench Rest Rat Shooting" is a gadget oriented sport to be sure. By spacing our benches out at least 30 yards or so, we each have a huge field of fire, but still have the ability to rotate and engage targets anyplace in the entire field, especially if your buddy does not see rats in "his" zone. Nothing like having a rat explode at 100 yards right in front of your bench that you couldn't see because it was behind his mound that your buddy could see easily from his position. :?

I shot The Silver Princess of Death, my 11 twist custom M700 the other two days, and am amazed at both how accurate the rig is, and how effective the 204 is at extended ranges shooting the 39gr SBK over RL10X. I was able to hit rats in the head that were peeking out over their mound with only the top half of their heads showing, ear, eyeball and nose, at 310 yards longest on that type of shot. Body shots out near the 400 yd mark were no problem either, about as far as the wind would allow without wasting precious handloads (primers ya know are purty scarce):

Dan (Rat Force One) at work on the squirrels with his wife's HMR, breaking it in properly. Note Ruger 22/45 handy for the sneaky rats:

His dad Gary with his Ruger HMR giving Skippy the workout he deserves (customary Ruger/Tactical Solutions MK-III w/Red-Dot holstered):

The following day we used the ranchers flatbed Chevy and a flatbed gooseneck trailer, our 204's, and really had a hoot at extended ranges.....see Part II. As you guys seem to love the flying action shots of Skippy and his pals, you won't be disappointed. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Re: Springtime Fun w/Skippy & the 204 (Pics)

Post by WaltherP99 »

Just LOVE reading these stories! :D :D :D Makes me wanna move to where the rats are "Plentiful"! :wtg:
darchell
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varmint VLP

Post by darchell »

I agree 100% with Walther.. :wink:
Schrutester
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Schrutester »

Your Ruger No.1 Varmint sure is a pretty rifle.

How are your %'s of hits with that compared to your .204's?

What ranges do you push it to?

Love the pics and reading about your adventures.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Nice, very nice.
Savage Vaporizer
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Schrutester wrote:Your Ruger No.1 Varmint sure is a pretty rifle.

How are your %'s of hits with that compared to your .204's?

What ranges do you push it to?

Love the pics and reading about your adventures.
Schrutester: Yep, I love that rifle. It's been to the PD fields in WY, MT, and SD, and shot countless ground squirrels here in Oregon and N. Kalif. I've shot both types of rats to just a hair over 600 yds with it, but usually it roams in the 450 yd area because of the ever present wind out here (I usually shoot 40's in it). As for percentage of hits compared to my 204's, hard to say, but this No.1 is the only rifle I've ever gone 100 for 100 for on squirrels with (40gr Nosler BT/H335). It was a grand day in N. Kalif on a huge alfalfa ranch, minimal wind, lots of sun, and a field so infested with squirrels, it boggles the imagination. That was the first and only time I've ever been able to pull that off, but it was with that Ruger No.1 .223.

Now that I'm more cozy with my 204's and used to the flat trajectory the caliber offers, I'm hitting even more than in the past, especially with SPOD (The Silver Princess of Death), as shooting only the 39gr SBK in the 11 twist, it bucks the wind nicely, and shoots flatter than my Swift, so the hit percentage is increasing every time out. It really splatters Skippy.

Glad you enjoy the pics and posts....I'll try to keep 'em coming. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

Great pictures Rick i like your idea of splitting up your photos in different post. Were going this weekend again . It is not the best weather but we will mke the best of it. Next weekend is moms day and that wouldnt go over good to go that weekend.
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
rdelung
.204 Ruger Guns: self made AR15

Post by rdelung »

Nice pic's. Who makes the bench, and what do you think of it?
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Rdelung,
Those benches are called the BR Pivot formerly produced by board member "Rick in Oregon" and now being produced by Battenfield Technologies. They are very comfortable and rotate 360 degrees. Gary
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

rdelung: MidwayUSA is now shipping the BR Pivot under the Caldwell Shooting Products label.

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/c ... -block-top
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA