Bull Bags

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Bitman
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF

Bull Bags

Post by Bitman »

Uncle Bud's Bull Bag

Anyone use them or have an opinion on them.
My Buddy uses them when he goes out west, to shoot PD's, and says I should get one.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Bull Bags

Post by Hotshot »

I like the Harris bipod for the front and a good sand bag at the butt stock off a portable bench in a prairie dog town. I have seen various big bags used over the years and people typically shoot well from them. I just don't like the bulk or the weight involved with the bag. Get the short Harris with the swivel feature and you will be well served off the bench or over the hood of your truck.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I agree with Hotshot, and have always been a Harris bipod user. I bought my first one in 1969 when they first became available, still have it along with others added over the years. Our military also uses them if that tells you anything.

Get the 9"-13" LS model that swivels in order to level the rifle on uneven ground; that's the one I have the most of and use often. The bags are okay, but as Hotshot noted, they are bulky and heavy if filled with sand. If you are set on a bag, forget the Uncle Bud's, and get the dog-gone-good bags, the originals. They are made by a retired cop and his wife here in Oregon, and Don Scott is a rabid squirrel and PD shooter, not to mention a full-on rifle looney himself. When compared side by side, there is not comparison; Don's bags are the clear winner.

http://www.dog-gone-good.com/

I use Don's window bags for both shooting my customized 10-22's and Ruger MK-I w/red dot out the window of my truck while driving to and from the ranch house to set up our benches for prolonged shooting. They get used alot, and over the years they still look brand new. Very high quality workmanship and materials, especially when compared to the Uncle Bud's products.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

salvo
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by salvo »

I have a bull bag and use it when I set sights or test loads. It is heavy but that's why it works so good.

Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I use the Caldwell bag on a smooth top bench out in the squirrel fields. I just slide it back and forth on the table top to get the squirrels lined up in the cross hairs. It is a nice addition. I haven't used my dupod off the table in a long time but both work good. The bag can be used quickly when changing rifles.