I don't know if this is an urban legend or if it's true

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

I don't know if this is an urban legend or if it's true

Post by Va varminter »

Anyone heard about using a dog whistle to get groundhogs to pop out of their dens? I heard about it years ago, but never put much stock in it.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Re: I don't know if this is an urban legend or if it's true

Post by Lenard »

I do know the western variety are rather curious about noise, and are really on alert. We used to driver the perimeter of alfalfa circles when hunting sage rats and would turn on the music loud and they would pop up. With chucks, music does get their attention, but really puts them on alert. They just do not stay around very long when alerted.

I have just found sitting and waiting better than making any noise. Last spring, we sat in one place for 2 1/2 hours and only shot three large chucks. It is not uncommon as waiting and scoping allows us to kill the larger chucks.

Lenard
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

A sharp whistle will often get a groundhog to pop up, to check out the noise. One of my buddies from high school would do that, and he'd get most of the shots, too :oops: He had a lot of 'hogs out by his place, so I spent a lot of time out there when I got my driver's license
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I've always been able to mimic a sharp chirp that our rock chucks emit, and when in the field when none are showing themselves on the rocks, I'll give a one of my signature chirps, and low and behold, heads pop up to see what's about. About that time it pays to be ready, as they'll raise up and offer a very good target presentation. This is when you want a great shooting 39 or 40gr load if you left your Swift at home...... ;)

When with my wife in stores or at a gun show and we're separated, if I want her to find me quickly, I'll give the "chirp", and she homes in on me. Works like a charm, plus she's much better looking than the rock chucks too...... :lol: (I DO get some strange stares from strangers when doing this though......)

(Photo courtesty of one of our Colorado brethern)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

I really like pictures like that when the weather is crappy. It reminds me I have something very special to look forward to. I will be more than ready when late april/early may come around so I can get one of them in my sights.

The last time I saw chucks on top of big rocks, was in S. Oregon. I was set up with a big chuck exactly 200 yards off, laying on top of some huge rocks. The wind was blowing in my face. I adjusted the scope for 200 yards and shot over the chuck. I had to set the scope back to 100 yards and then killed him. It was the second time I had the wind lift the bullets high enough to completely miss a chuck. I can deal with crossing winds, but wind in the face or on the back, really raised heck with those light bullets. By the way, it was a 223.

Lenard
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

I'd also be interested in hearing a little more on this subject! Might help me out some this spring.
Rick in Oregon wrote:
When with my wife in stores or at a gun show and we're separated, if I want her to find me quickly, I'll give the "chirp", and she homes in on me. Works like a charm, plus she's much better looking than the rock chucks too...... :lol: (I DO get some strange stares from strangers when doing this though......)
:lol: :wtg:
ddubas

Post by ddubas »

when shooting pd's in a town that has been hit alot I set a am/fm radio a couple hundred yards out and after a few minutes the music will get the better of the dogs and game on!
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

ddubas, :huh: I thought music soothed the savage beast! :lol: What kind of music to you play? Gary
ddubas

Post by ddubas »

out in the middle of no where i'm lucky to find any kind of station so it just depends on what i can find.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I just told my wife of 39 years that I had a special chirpy whistle sound that I would make and she should come to me at Wal-mart.

The swelling should go down by the time the gophers come out this spring, I hope I don't have permanent eye sight loss.

Thanks a lot for that tip RIO!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hotshot: I'm still laughing! A very long time ago wifey went with me on an outing for Skippy locally here. This was over 25 years ago, and getting close to 30. When I made him and his pals stand up to see what was about after hearing my "chirp", I dispatched two of them standing under a juniper tree with my Kimber 22 K-Hornet at around 175 yards. The result were, well let's just say "graphic" with the Nosler 45gr Hornet bullet at 3,000 fps. Wifey just put down the bino's, looked at me and said "my, that was disgusting"......

She's heard the chirp so many times thereafter both in the field for PD's, rock chucks, and our pal Skippy, that it became sort of a signature call that also worked for her to recognize the sender could only be me. Hence using it in stores, gunshows, or whenever I want her attention out of the house.

Sorry to hear it caused you bodily harm, and I hope the swelling is not your scope eye! ;)

The Kimber M82 22 K-Hornet and Skippy (not taken that day):

The chirp really works, and carrying the little Kimber Hornet all day is really a pleasure....for me, NOT for Skippy. :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

mrmarmota
.204 Ruger Guns: 2 Ruger 204's and 1 Ruger 220 swift and 1 Ruger 223

Post by mrmarmota »

I have used a variety of whistles with varying degrees of success.My father was able to mimic the airy whistle of the ground hog.He always got one to peek his head up.Usually his last peek.I never was any good at whistling, so years ago I tried a police whistle. That worked but the hogs got used to it.Every whistle or shrill device I have tried has worked for awhile.They aren't stupid and soon relate my whistle to another noise that usually reduces their population by one.
Any noise out of their ordinary gets their attention.Some noises send them running for their holes.It is fun just to see what may work on any given day. Have fun with it.My wife and I have dispatched over 1000 whistle pigs these past 25 years.The last couple years of hunting our old haunts has yielded very few hogs.Too many coyotes ,I guess.
Ed
Varmint Laser
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Model 21 Montana Varminter .204 Ruger (Laser)

Post by Varmint Laser »

RIO,
That picture is enough to get any half a$$ chuck hunters eyebrows to raise! :eek: We never shoot any that are skylined, but the chuck up on top would be a good "thrower" and a nice long way to the ground to boot!
That picture was taken before the first shot for sure! Four large chucks in one narrow field of view,,,,'com on spring!

Scott
Cooper Model 21 Montana Varminter in 204 Ruger (Laser)