204 Ruger Bullet Choice Question

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
centerfirecentral

204 Ruger Bullet Choice Question

Post by centerfirecentral »

I bought a Remington 700 204 2 or 3 years ago. Haven't shot it a huge number of times but enough to enjoy the accuracy.

Until this year I had not shot anything but paper. I reload everything I shoot so I jumped in and started reloading the 204 as soon as I bought it. I am not sure now of my reasoning but I chose the 45 grain Hornady SP. It is very accurate but I am starting to hate it.

Shot a coyote in November with it. Chest shot at 100 yards. It went down and was scrambling to get up. Fired another shot and it was over.

Shot a coyote last week at 50 yards, chest shot, it did a 180 and ran. Yes I could have missed completely but I don't think so. However, no blood was found and no coyote either. Shot a bobcat 10 minutes later standing in the same spot, same chest shot. Dropped in it's tracks but kicked around a few seconds.

Shot a coyote this evening at 40 yards. It went down and I assumed for the count, then it got up and ran for the timber. It didn't make it. My hunting buddy got with a 243.

I am disappointed in the 204 performance but I am suspecting the bullet. I loaded some 32 V-Max this week but have not hunted with them yet. I did shoot some of them and they are extremely accurate however I had seated them too shallow and had to load 1 at a time. I fixed that but have not re-tested yet.

?
Is the 32 V-Max that much more potent? Or, can I expect similar results?

I think I was concerned originally that the V-Max would destroy the pelt. But maybe it won't even exit, I don't know.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Re: 204 Ruger Bullet Choice Question

Post by steve »

Ive had good results with the 32 vmax small to no entrance hole and no exit and no runners either. Avoid heavy boned areas shoulder, chest etc. There are other bullet choices too but I have no experience with them .Good luck.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

CFC: For coyotes with the 204, the unanimous choice in bullets seems to be the 35gr Berger hands down. But personally for coyotes, my choice is the .243Win...never lost a dog since going to that caliber, but I don't save the hides either, just pest control for cattle ranchers.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Most of the problems some folk encounter with the .204 and coyotes is shot placement.

If you draw an imaginary line down through the head to shoulder and one straight up the leg... The point where they intersect is ideal...Takes out the heart and lungs at the same time....

A frontal shot needs to be right at the bottom of the throat and top of the chest area....Same effect.
AR
Factory/Factory
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

OldTurtle: Excellent graphics bud!! Well done, and a good description of where to hold for a DRT coyote. Where did you find the graphics? That would be/is a great reference source for other critters too, I'd imagine.

As we all know, ANY rifle cartridge will kill a coyote...shot placement is critical with any animal. You just illustrated it to a very fine degree. Thanks for the post.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

centerfirecentral

Post by centerfirecentral »

Thanks for the great feed back, great diagrams too.

I shot a bobcat yesterday with the 32 V-Max and it was DRT. I set my stand up hoping for a side shot and it worked out. Got into the shoulder too much but it worked. Of course you never know where they will come from could just as easily been another chest shot.

Read more on this site and the 39 Blitz King and Nosler 40 BT seem to be very popular so I ordered some Noslers to try. Will have to try the Berger too. :D

I had loaded some 55 grain Blitz King bullets for my 243 but have not tried them yet. I am confident they will work but not quite ready to give up the 204 and I'm trying not to destroy the pelt in case I want to keep it.

Bill
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

Hey Friend were you at in Missouri. I am in Pulaski County. I have loaded some 40gr. Shot a yote at 145 yds DRT. So far only one they are scarce around here for some reason...Good Luck
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
GAJoe

Post by GAJoe »

I chose the 40gr Nosler BT a couple years back and have had great results. The reason I chose it was a very good group and sustained energy with it's great B.C. The 32 VMAX starts out fast but looses steam. The Nosler 40gr @ 3880fps muzzle velocity has 500+ft/lbs energy past 350yds where the 32gr VMAX @4250fps is 275yds. I read the jackets are thinner on the VMAX's than the Noslers that result in explosive results near the surface with less penetration, but I have no experience with the 40gr VMAX (It does have a better B.C. than the Nosler.). I have always had good penetration and with the Nosler and only two runners that were running dead (They made it about a hundred yards.) My experience is that if you hit the coyote at much of an angle it will open a big entrance (It still did a good job killing though.); not fur friendly.
GAJoe
Ezek 33:11 ... I take no pleasure in the death of wicked people. I only want them to turn from their wicked ways so they can live."
2Peter 3:9 The Lord is...not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance."
John 3:16