22o Swift vs 204 Ruger?

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
POP

22o Swift vs 204 Ruger?

Post by POP »

Which one would you choose for long range varminting?
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Re: 22o Swift vs 204 Ruger?

Post by Ray P »

POP................ Without a ? 204 Ruger all the way. Easy to reload for, longer barrel life, more loads per pound of powder. Good bullet selection. All around fun round to shoot and learn with. You'll need more than one rifle in this caliber!!
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
POP

Re: 220 Swift vs 204 Ruger?

Post by POP »

How does it stack up for longer ranges though? I can run the #'s but all they are are just that #'s.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I own and shoot multiple rifles in all three calibers, and if you want some real smack out past 450 yards, then either the Swift or 22-250 gets the nod using 55's. But for 90% of the varmint work I do here, the 204's get shot much more, especially for colonly rodent shooting, as it's just as fast, and much more efficient (read: less powder for equal speed).

If you're after coyotes at extended ranges, then one of the 224's makes more sense, but don't sell the 204 short, it'll really surprise you, especially with the 39 SBK or one of the 40's when the range starts stretching out there.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Sub-caliber
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 Varmint, 2 Howa 1500 Varmint, CZ 527

Post by Sub-caliber »

I shoot all three calibers, 204, 22-250 and 220 Swift. Despite what most people will say who never shoot all three at range the 204, 40 gr is the hands down winner. Check the ballistics, energy and wind deflection at 500+ yards. The 204 rules beyond 500 yds and is comparable to the other calibers from muzzle to 500 yds. Beyond 500 yds the 204's higher BC takes over. In theroy that is what should happen. In reality it is even better. Anything the 22-250 or Swift will drop the 204 will drop at the same distance. The 204 will just hit the target a bit sooner!! Shoot and enjoy; be safe.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Everything Sub-Caliber sez above is true, however if you need a higher degree of energy at the target, read: Terminal Performance, then the Swift with a high BC 55 grain bullet wins the contest. For large rock chucks way out there past the 500 yard marker, the Swift gets grabbed virtually every time, as the little 39 or 40 grain .204 bullet, just does not have the same amount of energy.

You can run numbers on paper all you want, but proven field performance 'gits it done' every time. I love my three 204's, but for the real long range stuff on larger varmints, it's the Swift that rules that roost. Remember, I'm talkin' Long Range here, not the 300 or 400 yard stuff on prairie rats, but large chucks so far away you can't see them with the naked eye...... :chin:

To REALLY make the .204R shine at these ranges, a 55 grain .204 bullet with a BC around .600 in a 8 or 9 twist barrel would be the hot ticket! Berger.....are you listening? If bullets were available, I'd build the rifle in a hot second.

(This is also the territory where I may grab my .243 Ackley too.....a completely different story.....)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Just wondering out loud here since I'm ballistically challenged to a point. :lol: Could that 55gr'er be pushed fast enough to actually put the BC to it's full use? Seems like it would be down to the 3000--3300fps range. Wouldn't a Swift with a 65gr A-Max be a better option?

Just wondering.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Everything Sub-Caliber sez above is true, however if you need a higher degree of energy at the target, read: Terminal Performance, then the Swift with a high BC 55 grain bullet wins the contest. For large rock chucks way out there past the 500 yard marker, the Swift gets grabbed virtually every time, as the little 39 or 40 grain .204 bullet, just does not have the same amount of energy.

You can run numbers on paper all you want, but proven field performance 'gits it done' every time. I love my three 204's, but for the real long range stuff on larger varmints, it's the Swift that rules that roost. Remember, I'm talkin' Long Range here, not the 300 or 400 yard stuff on prairie rats, but large chucks so far away you can't see them with the naked eye...... :chin:

To REALLY make the .204R shine at these ranges, a 55 grain .204 bullet with a BC around .600 in a 8 or 9 twist barrel would be the hot ticket! Berger.....are you listening? If bullets were available, I'd build the rifle in a hot second.

(This is also the territory where I may grab my .243 Ackley too.....a completely different story.....)
For now, you may be right. For the future though, I believe it's just a matter of time (since the 204 is relatively new) before the 204 will be available with fast twist barrels that will handle bulets with BC's that match the 22 cals. Then it would be interesting...

Jim
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

I too have all calibers for PD hunting and my favorite is the 204, my second is the 22-250 then the 220 Swift. Since I have gotten the 204 I find my self using it more so now I have to get another and that really upsets me.....
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Everything Sub-Caliber sez above is true, however if you need a higher degree of energy at the target, read: Terminal Performance, then the Swift with a high BC 55 grain bullet wins the contest. For large rock chucks way out there past the 500 yard marker, the Swift gets grabbed virtually every time, as the little 39 or 40 grain .204 bullet, just does not have the same amount of energy.

You can run numbers on paper all you want, but proven field performance 'gits it done' every time. I love my three 204's, but for the real long range stuff on larger varmints, it's the Swift that rules that roost.
(This is also the territory where I may grab my .243 Ackley too.....a completely different story.....).......
"I shoot all three calibers, 204, 22-250 and 220 Swift" as well as the Tac 20 which is the ballistic twin of the 204 Ruger. From true field experience, I agree with everything Rick has said. For terminal performance which is the all important issue at any range, the 220 Swift wins every time when you stretch the yardage on targets like rock chucks and coyotes...... Even with targets the size of PD's and smaller, the terminal performance seen in red mist is greater with the Swift at extended ranges.

I have been shooting various 20 caliber rifles muchos years before the 204Rruger came stumbling along. The 20 calibers are good but they are not and never have been a cure-all for cancer, warts, and everything else known to affect mankind. Some cartridges just do some things better...like the 220 Swift at extended ranges...

-BCB
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Bayou City Boy wrote:

You can run numbers on paper all you want, but proven field performance 'gits it done' every time. I love my three 204's, but for the real long range stuff on larger varmints, it's the Swift that rules that roost.
(This is also the territory where I may grab my .243 Ackley too.....a completely different story.....).......
"I shoot all three calibers, 204, 22-250 and 220 Swift" as well as the Tac 20 which is the ballistic twin of the 204 Ruger. From true field experience, I agree with everything Rick has said. For terminal performance which is the all important issue at any range, the 220 Swift wins every time when you stretch the yardage on targets like rock chucks and coyotes...... Even with targets the size of PD's and smaller, the terminal performance seen in red mist is greater with the Swift at extended ranges.

I have been shooting various 20 caliber rifles muchos years before the 204Rruger came stumbling along. The 20 calibers are good but they are not and never have been a cure-all for cancer, warts, and everything else known to affect mankind. Some cartridges just do some things better...like the 220 Swift at extended ranges...

-BCB
I have to wonder how a 220 Swift with a 7 or 8 twist barrel would be way out there with say a 75 AMAX. I'm guessing they would do very well. My AR-15 service rifle with a Kreiger 7-twist barrel put 16 staright shots in the X-ring at 600 yards (6" circle) and I was using open sights. Unfortunately, the screw behind the trigger (that would be me) loused it up. I figured with a scope, who knows...

Nothing the matter with a Swift and in fact I'm curious how it (Swift) stacks up to the 223 WSSM. On paper they both look pretty equal.

I like the 204 myself but I have 40x target rifle in 308 I've thought about getting re-barreled to either a 243, 243 A/I and I've thought about a Swift, just not sure if it would fit a 308 bolt. I've heard Remington bolts are difficult to come by in the aftermarket.

Jim White
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim: A few years back I was shooting prairie dogs with two fine gentlemen, Jack West (shotgun stockmaker supreme) and Allan Hall (manufacturer of the fine Hall actions and Bench Rest Hall of Famer) in Wyoming near Meteetsee on a working cattle ranch.

Both Jack and Allan were shooting fast twist Swifts (four years before the advent of the 204 Ruger) using the aforementioned 75gr A-Max, and I was shooting both my 223AI and 243AI that trip. Those two Swifts were connecting on unlucky dogs past the 800 yard mark. The ranging chores were done via Leica Geovids, so I know for a fact they were pounding dogs that far out that were out of reach for my 223AI, and the only way I could stay with those guys was when I was shooting "Long Range Loretta", my 243 Ackley with 70gr BT's.

Allan's rifle was one of his own falling block designs, as was the primo walnut stock. The entire rifle was built by him. Jack was shooting a custom M788 that he had built for the fast twist Swift. Note the brake and the adjustable comb, both his work. The tree we're under was virtually the only shade in the entire valley that had a good elevated position. It was a very good day, except for Skippy and his pals of course.

Allan Hall on the right, Jack West on the left doing what we all love:

Jack's sign language for "Ha! Got him!":

Here's a shot of Allan's beautiful falling block single shot fast twist Swift:

When my old tang safety M77 Swift finally wears out the factory barrel, it will be rechambered with a stainless fast twist tube to take advantage of those very high BC .224" bullets such as the 75gr A-Max and the Berger VLD's. Skippy ain't gonna like that puppy one bit! ;) Let's just say that fast twist Swift's really rule!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Great old photos there Rick!!! By the way, what is the purpose of that reddish colored string or rope you can see that is visible beginning behind and up and to the right of Allan's falling block single shot fast twist Swift and continuing on to the left and winding up below the left side of the table?
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

They're in Wyoming. You have to tie everything down or the wind blows it to Nebraska. How do you think Acloco got all those neat toys?
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Silverfox: I was wondering if anyone would notice that string. Very astute of you, my far away friend.

The landowner that hosted our prairie dog fest was concerned for absolute safety, as he should have been. As some shooters brought their wives to the event that may not have been used to multi-benched shooters, we arranged the orange string to act as a "safety barrier" for the firing line, so that no one at any time would step on the far side of the string in front of a benched rifle. The system worked perfectly, as we stressed the issue on the first day of the shoot, and everyone abided by the field rule set in place. The other photos without the string were taken on day two of our shoot when we all wandered away in small shooter groups to explore different shooting areas, and other than my wife, no other non-shooters were with us, so the string routine was not needed. My wife has been around rifles and varmints for over two decades, and has seen the results of high velocity varmint bullets up close and personal.

It would be a tragic event to have a hair trigger discharge at the wrong time at point-blank range into an unsuspecting person that carelessly bumbled in front of a high powered varmint rifle. I'm pleased to say all went well, and the only fatality was Skippy and his maurading rodent pals.

Glad you enjoyed the photos. After doing this for 40+ years, I've got literally thousands of field photos as you'd imagine. I have to be aware of not to overload you all with my illustrated varmint history. :mrgreen:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA