Dog Food As Yote Bait

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Savage12VLP

Dog Food As Yote Bait

Post by Savage12VLP »

I am the proud owner of a Savage .204 VLP that I have sighted-in at 200yrd dead on. I shoot VMax 32's and it produces nickel size groups consistantly. For the past several months, I have been locating active coyote areas in SW Ohio. Once the crops get out of the fields - the fun begins!

Coyotes, as we all know, are meat eaters. I looking over the ingrediant list of Iams dog food, I see that it is made with chicken or lamb or all that other stuff yotes like. I happen to know that human-grade Tyson chicken is used in its production. Since we have an dramatic increase on coyote population and many reports that yotes eat dog food left outside for Fito - I have to think that Dog Food could be used to lure our target into a desired area. Has anyone had an experiance with this? Please share your opinions. Thanks
Hawkeye Joe

Re: Dog Food As Yote Bait

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

The best yote/fox bait is something they can't carry away. Otherwise they'll grab it and run. I've used dogfood,leftover Thanksgiving turkey,beef baisted biscuts,and assorted carcasses. They grab, run to cover and enjoy a meal. My brother and I have found that liquids work best. Stuff like old deep frier oil and graaaavy. Everybody likes gravy..Don't they :?: I can't wait to get back at it this fall. I should have this fur back soon.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

I buy the cheapest dog food I can find (magpies and ravens love em to ). I set it out at about 200 yds away where I can visibly see it from my upstairs window. :mrgreen: Then the fun begins. :lol: :camper:
Savage Vaporizer
sniper model 12
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 single shot synthetic stock bull barrel

Post by sniper model 12 »

I spoke with the local game warden who gave me permission to remove car struck deer from the road. I take bambi to the woodline and tie him down (twist in dog tie out stakes work good if the soil is soft. hard soil I use a tree or other permanent structure).

I then set up a couple hundred yards away and. . . . . .yip yip yahooweeeee! :lurk: :priest: :banana:

If you don't have any cattle in the area, a butcher shop or meat packer might give ya a leg bone. Tie that to a tree, fence, or other permanent structure. . . and

. . . . :reddot: :rocklicker: :party3:

(check with the game warden first)

my luck :chin: :D :idea:
"Adopt the pace of Nature: Her secret is patience."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
scootertrash

Post by scootertrash »

A favorite ploy around these parts for heavily pressured 'yotes, is as follows.

Take an old deer hide and a couple cans of creamed corn. Mix red food coloring in with the corn. Lay the hide out, and pour the corn around and on the hide. This attracts ravens, magpies, etc., all of which make quite the racket. This in turn draws the attention of the coyotes, without ever putting a lip to a call.

Naturally, I suggest checking the legality in your area.

Mike
Factory Custom
sniper model 12
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 single shot synthetic stock bull barrel

Post by sniper model 12 »

I read in a magizine (Predator Extreme. . .I think) that you can take a 2 or 3 gallon bucket, get some scraps from a local butcher shop, and freeze the scraps into a chum-cicle. Set it out in a remote local where you plan on hunting. As the winter sets in and natural food become scarce, the yotes will eat on that chummy pop.

Just like deer block and feeders, you have to maintain the food supply to keep 'em commin' in.

When ya feel like bustin' Mr. Keeyi Oh-tee then you have an established bait bucket to cozy next to.

sniper 12
"Adopt the pace of Nature: Her secret is patience."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
rc2125
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger MKII Hawkeye

Post by rc2125 »

Have made frozen "meaty-bones"-dog-food-iceblocks by accident(buckets of dog food left out in rain), and found it to attract foxes/coyotes when frozen, then placed the frozen food blocks around the property. They sat untouched under the snow for a bit, got real cold, then the crows found them all and the coyotes followed.

Got all high tech and ran 1500' of wire out to a motion sensor that beeps in the house when a visitor arrives. Seems like between 0200 and 0400 were the magic times.