SEEING THE HITS

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
chip-don
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 1 204

SEEING THE HITS

Post by chip-don »

what have you all found to be the best way to steady a 204 so you can see the hits. I shoot a ruger 1v :huh:
a bad day hunting is better than a GOOd day ////
mriddell
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700

Re: SEEING THE HITS

Post by mriddell »

I had that problem the other day. My bench rotates but doesn't lock, so sometimes the recoil would rotate the table a little bit and I'd miss seeing the shot. I'd just listen to hear Dad laughing and I'd know I hit it. :wink: I'm going to rig up some sort of engagement for the pivot so the bench stays put. I'm also going to pick up a rest to secure the rifle.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

If you are using a bipod with the rifle, try placing a piece of thick carpet under the bipod legs.... It will reduce the jump from the recoil..

If you are using shooting bags, try reducing the filler a little so the upper ears of the bag will surround the stock a little more... I know if I am using hard bags the recoil will increase the movement.
AR
Factory/Factory
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

Usually the weight of the gun and light recoil enable me to see the hits, but not if I am using to much magnification. Its nice to crank up the power so the target is filling the scope but then even a small amount of recoil can move your line of sight away from the delightful spectacle that the impact of a 204 offers. Instead of 12x try 8x or similair lower setting. Personally I like to use plenty of magnification, but I have to admit it doesn't make me more accurate and finding the target is harder.

Of course be sure to have a good rest, i typically use a bipod and a bunny ears bag. Its nearly as stable as a good table (much better than a poor table) and in the foothills here I can always find hill to lay prone on and cover an area out to 300 yards or so depending on wind.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

good solid rest, and follow thru the shot, maybe try adding a little more weight to the gun. shooting groups, i like my sinclaire rest with bunny eared rear bag. in the field, i shoot off of a varminter rest, and most of the time, i will see my hits, with the 204, and i keep my magnification at 12x, unless the heat waves get too bad.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
chip-don
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 1 204

Post by chip-don »

thanks the lower magnification seems like a good idea :D
a bad day hunting is better than a GOOd day ////
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Heavy barrel, light bullets, solid rest, lighten the loads a little.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

BR Pivot shooting bench $500, Caldwell front rest $140, rear bag with bunny ears $20, watching the show through the scope each shot, priceless! :lol: Gary