First PD hunt this weekend

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
happy shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 11 / ruger target gray

First PD hunt this weekend

Post by happy shooter »

Leaving friday for South Dakota for my first pd hunt . Guns (two 204's & 220swift & 17hmr) ammo 1250 rounds(2days) , permits ,shooting bench,sand bags, ez/up tarp,coolers, sunscreen & bugspray,spotting scope & binows , hat & sun glasses , camera (so I can post pics when I return) all packed & ready to go. Any inportant items I am fogetting? I have been looking forword for this trip for since I got my first 204 and started to view this site & reading everyones post about how much fun pd hunting is. Thanks for all the great stories & help every one has been. I only hope I have a great story to tell !
rayfromtx

Re: First PD hunt this weekend

Post by rayfromtx »

Sounds like you're ready. Leave the spotting scope at home. Take a towel to dip in your cooler water to drape over the barrel or else use mirage shields. Take extra patches and brushes for cleaning. Take some sweet's solvent. The copper will build up quick. Take rope and extra stakes to brace the ezup in the high winds. Take fix a flat. Take aleve for your back. The long hours at the bench may leave you with an unaccustomed ache. Take light colored clothes. Take extra hearing protection in case the rancher stops by. Cleaning cradle. I'll never go again without a battery powered dremel tool but that's another story. Paper towels and ziplock bags. Comfortable folding chair or lounger for when you aren't shooting.

Have a great time! Stay an extra day or two.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

happy shooter--Sounds like you have your list pretty well laid out. rayfromtx has some good additions for you to consider and PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO BRING PLENTY OF TP along :lol: :lol:
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Happy, I find that my handheld wind guage comes in handy but you can also guage the wind with flags. Have a great time, looking forward to seeing your pictures. Gary
rayfromtx

Post by rayfromtx »

Yep- a couple of wind flags are very useful. Try shooting upwind and downwind. When they both blow over, it's time to roll up your stuff.