ruger 204 ultralight m77

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
ultralightshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger m77 markII ultralight

ruger 204 ultralight m77

Post by ultralightshooter »

hey, does any body shoot a ruger 204 ultralight m77 markII. i shoot one and all i have shot out of it so far is hornady 40 grain v max and they dont shoot that tight of groups as i want. does an have any ideas on what factory ammo i should try? thanks
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Re: ruger 204 ultralight m77

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Try the 32 gr Hornady's , You need to start reloading. If your tight on money start with a Lee hand press for $20 dollars and a set of Lee dies. Start slow and work into it. Try a Timmey trigger it will help with groups.
ultralightshooter

thanks ryan! do you think 32 grain v max will work on yotes out to 400 or 500 yards?
Ryan S Albright

Yes. To get the tightest groups you will have to reload. I used my rifle for squirrel shooting so I needed tight groups and hundreds of rounds. If you are just coyote hunting factory ammo will do fine just try some deferent brands to see which will group best. Most of the coyotes I get are with in 100yrds, I found that having a good rifle rest so I could make a fine shot to be most important. If I can hit a squirrel at 330yrd with no problem a coyote doesn't have a chance. For years I used a 243 which is a great round but for coyotes and squirrels the 204 just shoots flatter with less recoil. Where you calling when you got your coyote or did you just get a shot at one way off? With the 204 I have recovered all the coyotes that I have shot they don't run if you get them in the torso.
ultralightshooter

well i was drinving to a spot to go call at and i saw the yote so i just took a crack at him and got him and i was really impressed with the knock down that little bullet has. Whats the farthest shot and kill for you with the 32 grain vmax on a yote and did he just drop?
Ryan S Albright

The furthest out that I have shot a coyote with the 204 is about 200 yrds. I've used both the 32gr & the 40gr Hornady bullets and I have droped every coyote in its spot. The 32gr bullets are the ones I use the most. I hunt at night and its important to not have a runner it makes it defficult to recover an animal at night if it has run a 100yrd. I lost some with the 243 and the 223 but none with the 204. I would have to say though shot placement is the most important use your shooting sticks and shot for the heart or head there stomachs are so empty a lot of times that you will hit nothing but skin if they are hit to farback.