Shooting benches

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Shooting benches

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I have been looking at every bodies shooting benches. I have decided to build one that will mount on top of my Xterra and spin 360 degrees. I've decided to go with a center post design like the BV pivot but I am not sure how large a pipe to use or how thick it must be to get the strength I need. Can you guys give me some info on steel thickness that is suitable for strength. I was going to make a base out of pipe with a pipe inside and another slide over the top so it would spin 360.
Graydog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MII

Re: Shooting benches

Post by Graydog »

Ryan

I don't know if this is what you had in mind but check out this web site

predatormastersforums.com

go to Techniques, click on the line in red titled Click here for a new article on night hunting,by Randy Watson. Scroll down to the title called the Chair. Not sure what you had in mind but he gives some good tips on his set up. Keep us posted on what you do as I'm sure this post will generate a lot of interest.
LOL GD
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ryan: When I designed the BR Pivot, I spec'd 3.5" dia. aluminum tubing for the center post. It was machined at both ends to provide the bearing surface for the pivot feature on the bottom, and at the top to slide into the table top mount bracket.

One caveat to consider, is that when mounting such an assembly atop a vehicle, you'll need stabilizing pads at all four corners, as the wind will move the vehicle enough to make accurate shooting virtually impossible. I know this for a fact, as many of my customers did exactly whay you are proposing both with vehicles and shooting trailers. Vehicles are worst, as they offer more flat surface area for the wind to act upon. Even a small breeze will move a rubber-tired SUV or pickup enough to frustrate you when looking through your scope.

I'd make up a bolt-on set of removeable pads for the frame at each corner, tube within a tube with a round 1/4" steel pad to bear against the ground. Lift up on the bumpers just a bit, drop the pads down and lock them to give decent stability. Works well.

Here's a shot of my bench to help a bit. Let us know how it works out.

Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Thanks Rick! I was wondering how I was going to stabilize the vehicle! As I didn't want to use motor home jacks. I am trying to keep things simple and the cost low. I was planning on using steel as it is cheap and easy to weld. I was looking at having four legs to hit all four corners of my luggage rack as I have to watch strength and weight and was going to angle the legs up 30 degrees with braces across the bottom. I was going to just install a shooting arm. I figured if I cut the pipe just above the legs and installed a pipe inside and lowered the top half on the pipe that I could get the 360 degree swivel and remove the top half to travel. This is just for the coyote hunting.
sniper model 12
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 single shot synthetic stock bull barrel

Post by sniper model 12 »

Sweet looking bench Rick ! What is the weight and approx cost if say . . . a person was to buy one like it?
"Adopt the pace of Nature: Her secret is patience."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

sniper m12: The weight of my BR Pivot Lite is right at 50 lbs, as the entire rig is constructed from 6061 T-6 Aircraft Alloy Aluminum, except for the wooden top of course, which is edge-glued oak, butcher block style.

We no longer make the bench, having sold the patent and rights to Battenfield Technologies, which distributes through Midway USA. They are announcing their new BR Pivot at the SHOT Show as this is written, and will be shipping next month. If you want to check costs or get your name on their waiting list, call 573-447-5177.

Once benches are actually available, I'll have two of their models for field testing, and will post pics and an informal report here to those interested. Sorry you missed our benches, bud. :|

Fun with our 204's with Skippy last season in the alfalfa patch:

Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

I have a BR Pivot Lite and love it. Keep an allen wrench in your kit to retorque the table top as needed.

As for stabilizing the vehicle, I'd suggest pipe mount trailer jacks as they are easily removed and adjusted to accomodate rough terrain and vary the load. Remember if the soil is anywhere near soft you wil experience compaction so carry a plank and plan on periodic re-adjusting
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot